PDA

View Full Version : Installing (need help with instruction)

plasmatic
04-13-2004, 12:51 AM
i don't know what this means in the instructions on how to install it to a harddrive:

partitioning the disk:
Backup your data. Use parted /dev/DESIRED_DISK(hda,hdb...) use ? to get commands resize partitions to create free space and make a new ext3 partition

i don't get the "Use parted /dev/DESIRED_DISK(hda,hbd...)

could someone give me an example on what i should type this into the browser window? (i think that's what i'm supposed to type it into...)

rickenbacherus
04-13-2004, 05:33 PM
i don't know what this means in the instructions on how to install it to a harddrive:

partitioning the disk:
Backup your data. Use parted /dev/DESIRED_DISK(hda,hdb...) use ? to get commands resize partitions to create free space and make a new ext3 partition

i don't get the "Use parted /dev/DESIRED_DISK(hda,hbd...)

Linux names drives like so:

Primary master: /dev/hda
Primary slave: /dev/hdb
Secondary master: /dev/hdc
Secondary slave: /dev/hdd

If you want to partition the Primary master (commonly referred to as the C:\ drive in windows) then you would do this:

parted /dev/hda

I however would suggest qtparted if you aren't familiar with partitioning.

[could someone give me an example on what i should type this into the browser window? (i think that's what i'm supposed to type it into...)

The browser? Um no. All of this needs to be done in a terminal represented by a monitor on the taskbar w/ a shell on it. Get used to it- the console is your friend. The installer will launch qtparted for you- no need to do it manually. Open a terminal and enter:

sudo knoppix-installer

Just follow along. If you get stuck, confused or just have questions your best bet is to fire up Xchat or Ksirc and join us in #knoppix where you can get real-time answers to your questions. Someone will help you through the install. If you have further questions please post as much detail as possible, specifically any errors you may get. If you're not trying to save anything on your hdd then you really have no worries and can simply execute the installer again if things don't work out the way you like.