PDA

View Full Version : apt-get bring-home?

unamiccia
04-13-2004, 01:20 AM
My home computer has a Knoppix hard-drive install and only dialup access to the Internet. I have a quick Internet connection at work, though.

I would love to be able to boot my work computer with my Knoppix CD and apt-get some big packages to install at home.

Is there an apt-get-burn-it-to-cd-and-bring-it-home-to-install-it strategy that anyone can describe?

Thanks for all help!

rickenbacherus
04-13-2004, 04:43 PM
Easy. Mount a hard drive, use apt-get w/ the -d flag and burn the .debs to cd.

unamiccia
04-14-2004, 07:38 PM
Got it -- thanks!

I confess that I am pretty much a rote user of apt-get so far, so I'll ask what I recognize is a pretty basic question: After I bring the .debs home, what's the command syntax for installing them?

Durand Hicks
04-14-2004, 07:44 PM
dpkg -i packagename.deb from the directory the .debs are located in.

HTH,

Durand

HomerCube
04-15-2004, 11:39 AM
Hello,

nice getting to know there's an easy way to get .debs by apt-get that way (I was wondering just about that two days ago).
Please let me understand one thing, however: think of a scenario with two Knoppix-based HD installations, one at home and one at work. They're not necessarily aligned (in that the latter might have been already upgraded several times).
If I launch apt-get -d upgrade on the work PC, it will download only .debs which can upgrade that installation, which might therefore be something different from what I need at home, right? So, what would be very useful is a way of "exporting" an apt desiderata package lists from a PC, put it onto a different one, get (apt-get -d upgrade...) all .debs and save them on a CD; after that, put the CD on the home PC and apt-cdrom...

Is there an easy way to get this?
TnX in advance.