PDA

View Full Version : Oops!

marc
04-13-2004, 04:28 PM
After a hd install I installed synaptic and then did an upgrade of all packages. I chose the default (n) "keep old" whenever prompted that a file had been configured by a script. Now when I reboot I get to the Welcome To Linux at Knoppix login screen (in English now) but cannot login. My previous root password does not work and my previous user name does not appear in the menu (just Knopix- Knoppix User and Root).

What did I do wrong and how can I fix it?

Thanks.

m_yates
04-13-2004, 07:02 PM
When you try to log in, does the screen go blank for a second and then return to the kdm login screen? If so, I think there is a problem with the "default" window manager selection. Try entering the name and password and then select "kde3" manually from the list of window managers and see if that works.

marc
04-13-2004, 08:12 PM
Hi Yates,

Yes, I was going to ask about that.

Wasn't able to boot Linux 1 or Linux 2- just went right past those and into KDE login screen. I managed to boot from CD chroot and change root password.

When I first installed I came to a login screen in German(I assume). I managed to choose KDE3 and log in as root. Now I notice that boot up says it is not starting X display. It is not the default.

I also get a couple other errors with boot up. Auto config starts and - "Segmentation Fault. Please check"

There is some driver/drivers that aren't loading.

I removed samba and apache packages (as you suggested) but I see them loading anyway.

The boot process takes a long time. Especially after entering run level 5 and waiting for the KDE log in screen- hour glass for a few minutes at that point.

I have no network, my ethernet card is not recognized now.

After KDE comes up if I enter the first terminal screen (ctl-alt-F1) something is still running, the green bar is on but not progressing with the spinning x running.

I still haven't re-partitioned and re-installed. Maybe this is a good time ;)

m_yates
04-13-2004, 08:47 PM
Well, I'm sorry if my apt-get upgrade advice screwed things up. A couple of comments:

1. You will still see apache, samba, and other things because the startup scripts are still there even though the application isn't. You can remove /etc/init.d/apache and /etc/init.d/samba and that should take care of it.

2. I don't ever recall seeing segmentation fault errors during boot up. I'm not sure what causes that.

3. The long time required to load KDE is probably due to X searching for font directories that aren't there. I had a similar problem and I think you can fix it by running the "fix-fonts" script here: http://kanotix.com/files/

4. Did you install "Debian-style" or "Knoppix-style"? I have always used the "Debian-style" and I don't see the green bar you describe in runlevel 1 (ctl+alt+F1). It is just text. I do see the green bar when running from the CD as this is shown when autoconfiguring hardware takes place. I'm not sure about "Knoppix-style" install because I haven't run it. My guess is that the upgrade changed something that is causing the hardware auotconfiguration problems.

I guess now is a good time to re-partition, sorry :oops: If you don't want to re-install, you could probably fix things, but I don't have experience with the "Knoppix-style" install (which I am assuming that you have).

marc
04-13-2004, 09:39 PM
I tried to install Debian style but I end up with no working network, I think I also had a problem with ext3. The partition ended up mounted ext2 read only. Actually, even though the Knoppix CD worked fine on my system, I had to use the Overclockix CD to get a successful install. I had to install Knoppix style even with that and everything seemed fine. BTW I am running on a i810 chipset mb with a celeron 700 Coppermine.

It looks like X loads the fonts ok Goes right by that w/o errors.

The green progress bar and working signal is new since synaptic packages upgrade and reboot.

I agree with you. It looks like something fubared with the updates. I'm sure it's something I did and not your sound advice.
I was planning a re-install anyway. This is a labor of love. My goal with this is to learn. My goal is being met! I have my familiar XP box running right along side the Linux box and connected with a KVM switch. No worries :)

I would prefer to use the Debian style install. Any idea why I do not get a working network with it or how to get it right? Seems like I should be able to use the Knoppix CD as well as the Overclockix. Maybe I should wait for the Knoppix 3.4 release. I believe it's due any time now.

m_yates
04-13-2004, 09:54 PM
Did you try "netcardconfig" as root after your install? When I installed Knoppix Debian-style, my network was not working on the first boot up, but after running "netcardconfig" it was up and automatically came up in subsequent re-boots.

I recently installed Debian as well. The new beta3 installer actually is pretty good. You may have to fiddle with it a little more and it still has some bugs.:

http://www.debian.org/devel/debian-installer/

But if you want to learn....I recommend the 100 MB iso

The nice thing about Debian is that you start with a very minimal install and install only the things you want from the network (it is best that you have a fast internet connection). Knoppix is great though, you end up with a system that is useable right away and it has lots of little tools (like netcardconfig) that are useful. Good luck!

marc
04-13-2004, 10:22 PM
I want to learn but without too much frustration. I'd like a good full working install with enough stuff to play with right away. Then I can learn about Linux as try to do more with it. A few months ago I tried Gentoo but it required too much "learning" before I could get started :roll:

I'll try the Debian 100meg if you think it's cleaner.

Thanks.

edit: I tried netcardconfig. I just get "no supported network cards found"

m_yates
04-14-2004, 03:15 PM
The driver for the network card is probably not loaded. Do you happen to know the type of network card you have and what linux driver it uses? If you post the brand, I may be able to tell you a driver to try.

For example, I have an nvidia nforce2 network card that uses the "forcedeth" driver. To get networking up, I can load the driver with:

modprobe forcedeth
Once the driver is loaded, I can use:
netcardconfig
to set up networking.

If that doesn't work, there are a couple of programs included that do automatic hardware detection and setup. One is "kudzu" developed by RedHat. You can run it from the command line using the command "kudzu" as root. If Kudzu detects your network card, I think it will tell you what driver it uses. The other program is "hwsetup" from Knoppix. Hwsetup is what runs when you see the green bar during boot up from the CD. You can run that using the command "hwsetup" as root from a terminal. After running one of these programs, you can re-try "netcardconfig" to see if it works. Once you know what driver needs to be loaded, you should add the name of that driver to the file /etc/modules so that it is automatically loaded at boot up. Good luck!

marc
04-15-2004, 12:05 AM
Hi Yates,

This card is integrated in an HP 6745C box. Don't know what the chip is. Knoppix has no trouble detecting it. If I boot to the cd how do output the card once knoppix is running?

It's all kind of moot cause I'm going to re-install after I partition anyway. If I use the Debian 100meg CD will I have a lot of trouble installing hardware? I've heard the Knoppix auto detect is about the best for Linux

m_yates
04-15-2004, 12:49 AM
For quick and easy set up, Knoppix is generally the way to go. The Debian installer does detect hardware, but it probably will take more work to have the system set up the way you want.

As for the module, you can boot up the Knoppix CD, open a terminal and enter the command "lsmod". That will list all the modules (drivers) that are loaded. You should be able to figure out by process of elimination + google what module the ethernet card needs.

marc
04-15-2004, 02:00 AM
Thanks again Yates. You've been great.

marc
04-15-2004, 03:40 AM
Btw, how many partitions should I set up. Is a 3 gig /root, 500 meg /swap, and the rest /home ok or should I set up more such as /usr /var/? I have a 20 gig drive.