PDA

View Full Version : I've broken KDE (again) - help with apt-get dependancies

stukennedyuk
04-13-2004, 05:14 PM
I installed Kdict, this required some additional downloads (various K packages) - the net result is that I have broken KDE as, I presume, I have some old bits and some new bits.

I've tried apt-get install kde, apt-get remove kde, apt-get -f install but I always get stuck with a dependancy, either trying to install or remove it. (I can provide more details, but I think there are more than one).

Is there the equivalent of the 'just bl**dy do it' button? Or might I just as well start from scratch with a fresh install of Knoppix?

Cheers, Stu.....

Markus
04-13-2004, 05:27 PM
You could try: "dpkg --configure -a" to see if it helps.
Then do:" COLUMNS=150 dpkg -l|grep kde" to see if you have some older kde-stuff.
For the older stuff, if you have any, try: "apt-get -s -t unstable install --reinstall packegename".
Can you post the errors in the depedencies?
Or just wait a little longer for the 3.4, I will :D

stukennedyuk
04-13-2004, 06:02 PM

Yes, this did help, it gets me back into KDE, many thanks! erm.... what does it actually do?! (don'y#t abswer - I'll read up on dpkg)

That's one I shall add to my list of 'hints & tips'!

Many thanks, Stuart.....

stukennedyuk
04-13-2004, 07:56 PM
root@Home:/mnt/hda4/stuart# apt-get -f install
Reading Package Lists... Done
Building Dependency Tree... Done
Correcting dependencies... Done
The following extra packages will be installed:
libxv1
The following NEW packages will be installed:
libxv1
0 upgraded, 1 newly installed, 0 to remove and 750 not upgraded.
4 not fully installed or removed.
Need to get 0B/131kB of archives.
After unpacking 295kB of additional disk space will be used.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n] y
(Reading database ... 130398 files and directories currently installed.)
Unpacking libxv1 (from .../libxv1_4.3.0-7_i386.deb) ...
dpkg: error processing /var/cache/apt/archives/libxv1_4.3.0-7_i386.deb (--unpack):
trying to overwrite `/usr/X11R6/lib/libXv.so.1.0', which is also in package xlibs
dpkg-deb: subprocess paste killed by signal (Broken pipe)
Errors were encountered while processing:
/var/cache/apt/archives/libxv1_4.3.0-7_i386.deb
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)

Markus
04-13-2004, 08:02 PM
Well, sometimes it helps to run "apt-get -f install" a couple of times, as well as "dpkg --configure -a".
For what you have now I would try: "dpkg -i --force-overwrite /var/cache/apt/archives/libxv1_4.3.0-7_i386.deb"

Stephen
04-13-2004, 09:07 PM

Yes, this did help, it gets me back into KDE, many thanks! erm.... what does it actually do?! (don'y#t abswer - I'll read up on dpkg)

That's one I shall add to my list of 'hints & tips'!

Many thanks, Stuart.....

It configures all the packages that are left unconfigured after an error and you should always do it after you get an error sometimes it is even necessary to install another program to get it to configure them all then remove it again if you do not want it on it system.

stukennedyuk
04-13-2004, 09:50 PM
Thank you both. I really do have a list of useful commands, hints & tips, I'd never remember what to do otherwise.

The printing in KDE is hosed, but I'll try to find out why and if unsuccessful, start a new thread.

Many thanks, Stu.....