PDA

View Full Version : problem booting past first screen

kornface13
04-13-2004, 07:32 PM
Everytime I try to boot from the CD, it doesn't work. I will load and go to the screen that says Knoppix. Then I get some sort of menu type thing. It has a bunch of commands I can do and it says boot, and I can type stuff. If you let it sit for a minute the screen goes black and it wont do anything. I need help. Is there some command i have to enter? Any help would be great.

and i also hear that it starts with the german keyboard layout. what am i going to need to do to get it up and running?

manatarms1775
04-13-2004, 08:30 PM
This has happened to me too - intermittently. Sometimes it boots normally and goes all the way through and other times it boots to this screen and says that it could not find the system file. If I turn the power off of the computer when this happens and start up again, it usually - usually - starts up all the way through.

kornface13
04-13-2004, 08:47 PM
didnt work......it doesnt give me any errors....it just goes blank and wont do anything. do i type something special at the main startup screen? (the one where it says press f2 for help?)

arkaine23
04-13-2004, 08:55 PM
knoppix lang=us

You can just press enter and it will boot with whatever default options have been set.

if it has a german keyboard layout, you'll have to use shift + 0 to get the "=" character.

kornface13
04-13-2004, 09:05 PM
tried that.....no go. whatever i type it says its loading, then after a few seconds goes blank. could it be because of my hardware or something? im stumped.

Bit-Smacker
04-15-2004, 09:41 AM
Everytime I try to boot from the CD, it doesn't work. I will load and go to the screen that says Knoppix. Then I get some sort of menu type thing. It has a bunch of commands I can do and it says boot, and I can type stuff. If you let it sit for a minute the screen goes black and it wont do anything. I need help. Is there some command i have to enter? Any help would be great.

and i also hear that it starts with the german keyboard layout. what am i going to need to do to get it up and running?

Same here! Actually, this problem only happens on my newer system. Knoppix boots up and runs beautifully on my old Dell Precision 410. It's a dual P3-550MHz w/1 GB RAM. However, when I try Knoppix on my newer P4, it hangs right at the point where it's trying to detect hard drive partitions. I wonder if it has a problem with the serial ATA interface?!? Below is my system configuration that Knoppix is hanging on. I've never been able to get it past the initial X desktop image with the Knoppix logo. The computer completely locks up at that point and I have to hit the reset button.

ASUS motherboard with integrated Intel SoundMAX audio
2.8 GHz P4 with Hyperthreading
1 GB DDR400 RAM
120 GB SATA drive
64MB Nvidia GeForce 4

I did try disabling hyperthreading, since we had issues with HT on our HP/Compaq servers at work on some legacy apps. It didn't seem to make any difference with Knoppix.

OErjan
04-15-2004, 08:44 PM
try nomount cheatcode. that wil give no hdd acess but... sata is not yet in knoppix i think, probably changed in 3.4

shimsham
04-15-2004, 08:54 PM
mine has not started past this point after about a dozen attempts. the moniter clicks and the message "out of range 60.0khz 75.0hz" floats around the screen. can anyone help?

Markus
04-15-2004, 09:04 PM
mine has not started past this point after about a dozen attempts. the moniter clicks and the message "out of range 60.0khz 75.0hz" floats around the screen. can anyone help?
Try some cheat codes (http://www.knoppix.net/docs/index.php/CheatCodes) like xmodule=??? vsync=60, substitute ??? for ati, i810 or whatever you have and set the vsync to what you monitor supports if 60 doesn't work.

moonwalker
04-15-2004, 10:28 PM
Hi guys,
i am new to all this stuff in fact its the first time to use linux OS. i made a knoppix live cd and it was successfull...buuut.....when i started to boot with cd it seemed to go well but after displaying the knoppix logo when it starts to load a lot of things in the black screen it gives me a hell of errors eroors errors it didn't succeed in making anything......what am i to do????
a little help is appreciated.......thnx a lot.

kornface13
04-16-2004, 05:11 AM
Hi guys,
i am new to all this stuff in fact its the first time to use linux OS. i made a knoppix live cd and it was successfull...buuut.....when i started to boot with cd it seemed to go well but after displaying the knoppix logo when it starts to load a lot of things in the black screen it gives me a hell of errors eroors errors it didn't succeed in making anything......what am i to do????

This is my exact same problem. Gives me tons of errors, and locks up at the Network Interface Part. Any help would be great.

SHSFball53
04-16-2004, 02:14 PM
Every time I boot Knoppix after the first boot screen my montor goes blank says "out of range." Its ok, let it sit for ten min. and you will see a Knoppix startup screen. It will work fine

HarryS
04-16-2004, 07:28 PM
I am also new in the linux world. Just installed knoppix 3.3 on an old DELLl notebook APM bios 1.2/ mem 618652 kb and ram 45856 K , 20 MB. PENTIUM ii ; 363 mHZ AND 256 kB. [[thats what it gave back at installation]. I got the warning that is was too small for KDE and i had to use TWM windows mgr. However, knoppix logo screen was what i got as well as a message [that i need at least 82 kb to start kde] Another box appeared [shell] showing knoppix@ttyp0[knoppix]$. When i put the cursor on the logo screen AND kept pressing the left mouseclick, i can see a menu, but there is no way to get any further... What to do...?

Hi guys,

This is my exact same problem. Gives me tons of errors, and locks up at the Network Interface Part. Any help would be great.

shimsham
04-17-2004, 01:46 AM
well the reply i got earlier worked fine so many thanks but word of warning, don't try the mail program unless you intend to move over permanently. you'll lose any mail you recive. one of which might be really important!!! i will change over soon. its excellent when you get in so keep trying guys. just need to save my files before i do and think i will do a full format first. anyone know how to save outlook emails and address book in a useable format on linux?