PDA

View Full Version : help obtaining qtparted

bob58
04-13-2004, 11:15 PM
I seemed to have a corrupted qtparted program so i did apt-get --purge remove and deleted it. I want to download a fresh version of qtparted but when i try, i get the following error:

root@Home:/home/knoppix# apt-get install qtparted
Reading Package Lists... Done
Building Dependency Tree... Done
Package qtparted is not available, but is referred to by another package.
This may mean that the package is missing, has been obsoleted, or
is only available from another source
E: Package qtparted has no installation candidate
root@Home:/home/knoppix# apt-get update qtparted
E: The update command takes no arguments
root@Home:/home/knoppix# apt-get upgrade qtparted
Reading Package Lists... Done
Building Dependency Tree... Done
The following packages have been kept back:
autotrace cloop-utils dict elinks foomatic-db-engine foomatic-db-gimp-print gimp
ijsgimpprint kdepim kpilot libarts1 libarts1-dev libautotrace3 libdbi-perl libldap2
libsoup2.0-0 libxft2 lyx lyx-common lyx-qt pppconfig slrn squid svgalibg1 telnet-ssl
telnetd-ssl tetex-bin tetex-extra unarj vim vim-gtk wvdial xlibmesa-glu-dev
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 33 not upgraded.
root@Home:/home/knoppix# apt-cache search qtparted.

can someone help me get this program ? Thank you...bob
:(

rickenbacherus
04-14-2004, 12:46 AM
I found qtparted here:

deb ftp://ftp.debian.org/debian/ unstable main non-free contrib

Just add that line to /etc/apt/sources.list You can do it manually or.....

get root (not sudo)

echo "deb ftp://ftp.debian.org/debian/ unstable main non-free contrib" >> /etc/apt/sources.list

*NOTE* If you don't use 2 (two) arrows you will overwrite your file!

apt-get update

bob58
04-14-2004, 01:38 AM
I seem to have some kind of problem with this program for some reason. When i click on the icon to run it, the little hourglass just keepsspinning for about 20 seconds then disappears. The program is installed but doesnt seem to want to run. It was working before. I wonder if there is a file missing or something. I tried apt-get --reinstall install qtparted and that seemd tp go thru ok, but when i click on to run, it wont run!!! any other ideas?????? bob

rickenbacherus
04-14-2004, 03:21 AM
I seem to have some kind of problem with this program for some reason. When i click on the icon to run it,

Well knock off all the clicking already! :)

Launch it from a terminal eh? (as root ;) )

Durand Hicks
04-14-2004, 04:54 AM
If you're clicking from the menu, the symlink is probably dead, you'll need to delete or recreate it to point to where the updated qtparted program resides at.

bob58
04-14-2004, 11:30 AM
Hmmmmm....I noticed that with a few scattered programs on my main start menu! How do I fix this problem? I am still new to KNOPPIX. I did run qtparted from the console on my other computer and it worked ok....but if you would not mind explaining to me how to fix bad symlinks that would be great. bob

Durand Hicks
04-14-2004, 07:24 PM
Hmm, let me see, I did it the hard way using start menu>settings>menu editor. You could also use the kappfinder tool as well, but if you really want to make your menu your way, the menu editor is the right tool for the job. I've seen elsewhere in this forum that opening a console and typing update-menus also does the trick, but it didn't do it for me.

bob58
04-14-2004, 07:30 PM
Yah I tried update-menu too and it just didnt do a thing. I dont know how to use menu editor but i will try. What exactly am i trying to do as far as fixing symlinks? I wish the programs were in a easily remembered place and then you could just drag the executable file out to desktop and your done. When you right click on a menu item it is the same as if you left clicked. I dont know how to get into the properties of them to look. But like you said, menu editor will probably be best if i can figure it out! When I get home after work i will mess with it and let you know...bob

bob58
04-14-2004, 11:29 PM
Hi...I can run qtparted from console as ROOT but when I exit the program i get this:

Error: Filesystem was not cleanly unmounted! You should e2fsck. Modifying an unclean filesystem could cause severe corruption.
No Implementation: Support for opening ntfs file systems is not implemented yet.

Error: Filesystem was not cleanly unmounted! You should e2fsck. Modifying an unclean filesystem could cause severe corruption.

I do not know what to do! When Qtparted was running OK a few weeks ago, i never got this message after ending program.

I tried to run the command e2fsck but i just get a help file and the commands are too cryptic. bob

Durand Hicks
04-15-2004, 03:41 AM
Normally, I don't run partitioning tools from the harddrive itself, no matter if it's on a different partition than the one I want to change. I use either the cd or the floppy, depending on which optical drive I have in the bay. That is the safest way and minimizes partitioning errors. I've used qtparted with very good results on 3 different machines using the knoppix cd.