PDA

View Full Version : 2 Newbie Questions

Hermes02
04-14-2004, 07:03 AM
Ok, I recently make a live cd to boot from but this is my first attempt at linux. There are two things I'm having trouble understanding.

1) How do I go about creating a permanant home directory for my personal settings and programs?

2) How does the installation of programs work? For example, I was trying to install AIM and could not understand the directions. (http://www.aim.com/get_aim/linux/latest_linux.adp?aolp=)

ChivalricRonin
04-14-2004, 01:13 PM
If I understand you correctly you've burned a Knoppix ISO image and have booted up into it.

1. If you don't want to install Knoppix to the hard drive, then you cannot create a permanant home directory on the disk. Knoppix reads directly from the CD and creates a temporary RAM disk. However, there may be a way to utilize a USB memory key to store your settings on. I've not done it, so if someone who has could elaborate...

2. Likewise, unless you install Knoppix on the hard drive, at which point it becomes Debian, you can't install any other programs.

All of the above are based on Knoppix 3.3. Did that answer your question?

Hermes02
04-14-2004, 02:50 PM
Yeah you answered very helpfully. All your assumptions were correct. Not the answer I wanted to hear, but I can live with it. I have a lot of learning to do. :D