PDA

View Full Version : Knoppix 3.4ct hdinstall suceed, but no boot with usb enabled

juffi
04-14-2004, 09:38 AM
Hi ,

well i finally installed the knoppix 3.4 ct edition on my harddisk (took me 2 days !). But booting fails (stuck when says "Autoconfiguring devices"). Now i disabled USB Support and APIC support in my BIOS, now i can boot, but all my USB-devices are not working of course. The crazy thing is, booting from Knoppix 3.4 CD WITH USB and APIC enabled works (99% of all time).

Trying SUSE Linux 9.0 is the same (stuck when says checking Hotplug..)

Does anybody have a clue how to tell LILO or whatever not to check for USB devices or APIC? Any "cheatcodes" there like Knoppix CD at boot? :cry:

And trying to boot Kernel 2.6 from Knoppix CD doesnt work at all, doesnt matter if USB, ACPI, APIC etc. enabled or not. Blank Screen when hitting enter to boot . :shock:

My system: ASUS p4p800 se MOBO, Geforce FX5900, Maxtor HD, Siemens USB Wlan Adapter 11 (doesnt work at all under Knoppix), Canon S 200 USB Printer, NEC 2.0 PCI USB Hub

juffi
04-16-2004, 11:25 AM
Problem fixed!

Installed Knoppix 3.3 (maybe better script for HD-install?), got the Hotplug patch from kanotix-site, now i can boot even with USB 2.0 Hispeed, APIC and so on FROM HD.

This part was missing (better say computer freezing) before the patch script:
-------------------------------------------------------------
Multicast is enabled
vnetusba.c: usb eth0 initialized and registered
REASSOCIATION RESPONSE
hub.c: new USB device 02:0a.1-2, assigned address 3
printer.c: usblp0: USB Bidirectional printer dev 3 if 0 alt 0 proto 2 vid 0x04A9 pid 0x106A

--------------------------------------------------------------

Now everything is working like a charm. :D

arkaine23
04-16-2004, 11:19 PM
Yeah my usb doesn't work in the 2.6.1 kernel on a modified knoppix 3.4 cebit I'm using, but I can just-

sudo /etc/init.d/hotplug restart

and then it works. On my hdd-install I made an icon for running that command, and since my laptop's touchpad works fine, I just click it to get my logitech mouse and usb pen drive working.

juffi
04-17-2004, 01:33 PM
Well i have to say, that "everything is working like a charm" was a little bit too much. The computer can boot now, can work with KDE and so on.

Now the problems grow the more try: the wlan adapter is recognized as eth0 . So far so good. But changing the Essid in Managed mode freezes the machine again. No matter if i use "iwconfig eth0 mode Managed MySSID" , or lvnet (Atmel Utility) or /etc/network/interfaces assigning wireless parameters to eth0 or wlcardconfig. Thats bad because i have to set the router to open, say visible ESSID. This behaviour is the same when booting from Knoppix Live CD 3.4 .
The crazy thing is, when i tried to set the Essid under Knoppix, then reboot to windows again, the Wlan adapter isnt working, looks like the Linux command changed it. I have to shut down the computer, then reboot windows, then it is ok under windows.

The printer is recognized in USB department (looking with lsusb) but the are no drivers for it (says Canon site). Ugh. I have tried "Turboprint" but i have to pay for it when i want that Turboprint Logo off my prints. Suse Linux doesnt support this printer as well. Ugh, anyone have a hint?

Trying that /etc/init.d/hotplug restart doesnt work, the script stops in that terminal, looking on another Terminal theres some cryptic informations like Stack 001 o01e001 .... whatever.

Maybe i have to upgrade the kernel. :(

juffi
04-19-2004, 11:02 AM
Ok, i've tried Knoppix 3.4 Cebit version , as it has Kernel 2.4.25 . Again the same Problem that booting from CD is ok, after HD-install booting fails when coming to "Autoconfiguring devices". System hangs.

After disabling USB -Support again in BIOS, i can boot now. After some reading about the wlan-adapter the problems arise from the atmel-drivers. In the readme they say, Usb-adapter may cause a system hang.

:(