PDA

View Full Version : Wireless Networking help

Mike UK
04-14-2004, 04:33 PM
Hiya been trying knoppix for the last couple of days and very impressed with it ..dunno how microsoft get away with it lol but the only problem i got is i cant get it to network any way what so ever looking at knoppix usb view app it detects my usb network adaptor as eth0 (the network adaptor is a Belkin F5D6050 i have tried a few things trying to set it up but failed every time :( i tried the network card setup app but if i select use dhcp broadcast it fails and if i select no and try no dhcp broadcast and put the folowing options it still fails

enter ip addy for eth0
entered 192.168.0.1
Network Mask
broadcast addy
default gateway (guess this would of been the router addy which is 10.0.0.2
entered 10.0.0.2
Name server
entered 10.0.0.2 (router addy)
then i set the ESSID to
conexant (as used on my router)
NWID Cell identifier to blank (no idea what it is)
Enter the mode for eth0
Set to auto
Frequency for eth0
set to blank
additional parameters
set to blank
additional parameters iw spy eth if needed
set to blank

Any ideas? the router i have got is a Oringo AWR7210 which sucessfully works with windows i have got 64 bit encryption running and even when i enter the details for the encryption it still wont work :(

Help! lol

Thanks Mike

false-hopes
04-15-2004, 06:38 AM
try turning off the encryption on the router (if your worried about security turn off ssid broadcast, so unless someone is desparate to find you they problably won't)

garyng
04-15-2004, 09:04 AM
Turning off the encryption on the router should do it. However, this I would say seems to be a long standing issue with Knoppix. It tries to set the ethernet info before the wireless stuff. By reversing the order, there won't be such a problem, if the network card is supported.