PDA

View Full Version : Anyone know of any great database programs for Knoppix?

mharazin78
04-14-2004, 10:34 PM
I just made the long overdue change from Windows to Knoppix and all I can say is I'll never use Windows again! I've been playing with various software, but still haven't found a database I like, so if anyone knows of any good programs for knoppix... PLEASE let me know. I currently have my entire client database in ACT on a *rolls eyes* Windows box and I can't wait to do away with ACT!

Thanks,

Michael Harazin

probono
04-14-2004, 11:45 PM
mysql. There are various frontends to it, but OpenOffice has one and is already included on the Knoppix CD, as is mysql itself.

user unknown
05-09-2004, 04:43 AM
if you go for webhacks, mySql might be ok.

For a more professional task take postgresql. It's much more advanced in implementing the standards (mySql don't knows subqueries :) - and I use it since years.

There is even a free edition of oracle9 (perhaps today oracle10) - which I downloaded but I'm hanging in the installation-process. And it's a 500 MB tarball to download :)

There is pure java-implemented database which stays in memory: hsqldb, but if you have lots of data you should have lots of ram. A jre is included in my knoppix, so the more small hsqldb (a few MBs) is everything you need.

steven2099
05-11-2004, 07:48 PM
I would very much appreciate direction on how to open mysql with OpenOffice. I have tried to open mysql directly without success despite forum searches, asking in Knoppix chatroom, google searches, and texts such as "Kiss the Blue Screen of Death Goodbye" by Marcel Gagne. Obviously I'm missing something obvious and obviously Im still a newbie despite using Knoppix for over a year.
I know I'm rambling a little but I wanted to show that I did some looking before posting for help.

Steven Schwimmer
steven2099@aol.com

eadz
05-11-2004, 11:42 PM
if you go for webhacks, mySql might be ok.
For a more professional task take postgresql. It's much more advanced in implementing the standards (mySql don't knows subqueries :) - and I use it since years.

MySQL supports subqueries and other jazz as well. I was at a MySQL talk where they had someone who works for mysql talking about it, and basicly I don't think I'll ever used postgres. It doesn't have anywhere near the number of users that MySQL has and so it's hard for it to remain as bug-free.

There is a really good gui for MySQL and it's called DBDesigner4

user unknown
05-12-2004, 12:42 AM
eadz
from the mySql homepage:

What new features are you most looking forward to in MySQL?
Subqueries Prepared statements Stored Procedures
... Views ...

Well - it looks as if the comming mySql 5.0 release will have stored procedures.

When you tell mySql has more users, where did you get that information?
Can you prove it?

It might be more easy to have less bugs, if you have less features. :) But since postgresql had views and subqueries when I first used it in 1996, bugs might have been removed since years. Feel free to visit the bug-page of postgresql.

Since the additional features of postgres are essential to complex databases and experienced users, there might be a different level of experience, as well for developers as for users.

steven2099
I just made a postgresql connection to openOffice/calc.

F4 shall give you a database view.
Read the Help:Search:JDBC; database to get additional info and feel free to ask again afterwards, more specific if possible.

eadz
05-12-2004, 12:59 AM
eadz
from the mySql homepage:

What new features are you most looking forward to in MySQL?
Subqueries Prepared statements Stored Procedures
... Views ...

Well - it looks as if the comming mySql 5.0 release will have stored procedures.

When you tell mySql has more users, where did you get that information?
Can you prove it?

It might be more easy to have less bugs, if you have less features. But since postgresql had views and subqueries when I first used it in 1996, bugs might have been removed since years.

MySQL 5 has no known bugs. MySQL don't release anything unless it can pass it's tests which include testing test cases for ALL known bugs, and speed tests. If it has a known bug or is not as fast as a previous version then it doesn't get released. So in saying that, MySQL 5 is stable enough to use.

MySQL has more users I was told by someone who works at MySQL.. well it's downloaded 20,000 times a day. I'm not sure what the dowloads for postgresql are, but I'm inclined to believe MySQL.

user unknown
05-12-2004, 01:30 AM
Are you making jokes here?

MySQL database server & standard clients:

* MySQL 4.0 -- Production release (recommended)
* MySQL 4.1 -- Alpha release (use this for new development)
* MySQL 5.0 -- Development tree (use this for previewing and testing new features)

First: here you may see, that the recommended production release is 4.0, and 5.0 is for testing new features.
Source http://dev.mysql.com/downloads/
Note the dot-com in the name.

Have a look at this page, before telling there is no bug:
http://bugs.mysql.com/bugstats.php

Of course, every complex software has bugs, and there is nothing wrong with that.
But it's wrong to tell it has no known bug.

Perhaps it had no known bug when released, but of course bugs are found when used by many people on different systems with different ...

MySql is a fine, usable, and quite stable amateur database, used by millions of webhackers.

And postgres is a seldom used, professional database. Stable and usable, as well.

Are you somehow involved in mySql?

j.drake
05-12-2004, 04:10 AM
Geeks talking smack. Sheesh! :roll:

Hunkah
05-13-2004, 04:51 AM
I am still favouring Windows, I have tried SQLyog and in my opinopn it is the best and most intuitive which I believe only have windows installations. But MySQL is creating better interfaces (GUIs) for its own product. MySQL Control Center (http://www.mysql.com/products/mysqlcc) and MySQL Administrator (http://www.mysql.com/products/administrator/) are the names and locations.