PDA

View Full Version : Knoppix (Debian??) Dma question.

CptKrf
04-15-2004, 01:34 AM
This is not exactly the old "My DMA is turned off - how do I turn it on" question, but one about who is in charge.

The /etc/hdparm.conf is an obvious place to control DMA and corresponds to other distros. But there is also a /etc/init.d/bootmisc.sh that also has a DMA switch at the bottom for each drive.

Questions. Why two sets of switches? Who overrides who? Which one should be used and which one commented out? Googling so far has not explained the reason for having both.

Thanks

CptKrf

Stephen
04-15-2004, 02:14 AM
This is not exactly the old "My DMA is turned off - how do I turn it on" question, but one about who is in charge.

The /etc/hdparm.conf is an obvious place to control DMA and corresponds to other distros. But there is also a /etc/init.d/bootmisc.sh that also has a DMA switch at the bottom for each drive.

Questions. Why two sets of switches? Who overrides who? Which one should be used and which one commented out? Googling so far has not explained the reason for having both.

Thanks

CptKrf

You want the hdparm.conf that is the official Debian way of doing it the bootmisc.sh is a hack to do it in Knoppix.

DaDuke
04-22-2004, 10:34 PM
Didn't work for me, I edited the hdparm.conf to read

/dev/hda {
mult_sect_io = 16
write_cache = off
dma = on
io32_support = 3
}

rebooted and checked the dma status and it is still off, I know how to use hdparm to turn it on after knoppix is loaded but would like it to boot this way.

I also don't see anything in bootmisc.sh to turn dma on?

Stephen
04-22-2004, 11:59 PM
Didn't work for me, I edited the hdparm.conf to read

/dev/hda {
mult_sect_io = 16
write_cache = off
dma = on
io32_support = 3
}

rebooted and checked the dma status and it is still off, I know how to use hdparm to turn it on after knoppix is loaded but would like it to boot this way.

I also don't see anything in bootmisc.sh to turn dma on?

Looks like the startup links may not be set. You can use update-rc.d hdparm defaults as root to have the links recreated or apt-get --reinstall install hdparm to reinstall and have the links recreated.

user unknown
05-06-2004, 04:12 AM
I had the same problem during start (kernel 2.6.5, knoppix 3.4).

I found some hint on some suse-pages, where they claimed you have to rebuild your kernel.

So I made:

make menuconfig
device-driver->
ATA/ ATAPI/ MFM/ RLE
Enhanced IDE ....
PCI IDE Chipset supp.
Generic PCI busmaster DMA ...
Use PCI DMA by default
make
make modules_install
etc. pp.

Fabianx
05-07-2004, 11:59 PM

Thanks

CptKrf

You want the hdparm.conf that is the official Debian way of doing it the bootmisc.sh is a hack to do it in Knoppix.

Argh,

why didn't tell you us to do that that way, earlier ?

We did it just that way, because we (or the original writer of the installer) did not know how to do it "the right way".

cu

Fabian

PS: Please add to the new page: Bugs/Installer I'll have there to sections with Solved and unsolved bugs as the installer is not just used with knoppix 3.4.

user unknown
05-08-2004, 01:39 AM
I just joined knoppix.net and was looking for help myself (oracle9i - installation, pencam/gphoto and sysfs, acpi/apm on sony fx601, mounting memory-stick, ... )

Better late than not at all... :)