PDA

View Full Version : New X11

oldgeezer
04-15-2004, 07:12 AM
I read the background to windowing developments, disagreements, etc some while ago and didn't understand it fully then. Now this story has been reported: http://www.theregister.co.uk/2004/04/15/x11_fork/
Perhaps some folks can explain the implications for Knoppix and the thorny issue of K3.4 content?
OG.

garyng
04-15-2004, 08:37 AM
no impact as far as I can see. Knoppix depends on Debian(be it unstable or testing or stable). The latest X11 on debian is 4.3 which is before the fork. Given the time it takes to make 4.3 works on all debian supported platform, it would be a long while before the XOrg fork can enter debian. Debian based system would be stucked with 4.3 for some time to come.

aay
04-15-2004, 02:17 PM
no impact as far as I can see. Knoppix depends on Debian(be it unstable or testing or stable). The latest X11 on debian is 4.3 which is before the fork. Given the time it takes to make 4.3 works on all debian supported platform, it would be a long while before the XOrg fork can enter debian. Debian based system would be stucked with 4.3 for some time to come.

It doesn't need to work on all platforms before it can make it into unstable. In fact I would think that they might introduce it sooner than later so that work can be done toward getting broader support. In any event, I don't care that much since all my hardware is supported fine presently.