PDA

View Full Version : LCD pixel specs

Arkaein
04-16-2004, 04:14 AM
Hi everyone, I have a not exactly Knoppix related hardware question.

I was just poking around in the KDE COntrol Center (I've done a HD install) and noticed the options for sub-pixel anti-aliased font hinting. I have an LCD monitor (an NEC MultiSync LCD1760V, to be specific) and I've been trying to figure out exactly what sub-pixel RGB layout it uses. Neither the manual nor the NEC product website seem to have any info.

Is there a database somewhere where I can look this info up, or do I have to try each configuration? I suppose there aren't that many, but the KDE Control Center says that the effects only apply to newlt started apps.

Thanks.

Arkaein
04-26-2004, 04:58 AM
Just thought I'd tell anyone who's had the same problem the quick and easy solution I found.

I used GIMP to create a small image with a black background (about 50x50). I made a vertical strip one pixel thick. Red on top, then green, then blue, and red again at the bottom. This allowed me to look at each color next to the other. Sure enough, I could see right away that the red pixels were left of both green and blue, and green was left of blue. A horizontal stripe showed no shifting between colors. In addition, a close look at a zoomed view showed some "banding" in the vertical direction for all color, indicating that multiple sub-pixels of one color touch when stacked vertically but not horizontally.