PDA

View Full Version : Knoppix 3.4 freezes on using external mute controller

AlBorland
04-16-2004, 09:13 AM
Hello,

I have a problem with my Omnibook 6200 and Knoppix 3.4 (remastered from iso-top.info):

Using the external mute controller, the system freezes. It doesn't matter if I boot from CD or HD, if I use kernel 2.4.25 or 2.6.3, if I am working with KDE or in text console mode or if an sound application is active or not.

The two workarounds I found up to now: Booting with option "nosound" or booting with Kanotix BH4, but I want to have sound and I don't want to do a second hd-install.

Any other hints?

Thanks in advance,

Jörg

certifieduser
04-21-2004, 02:55 AM
simpe and stupid answer :idea:

use knoppix 3.3 untill knoppix 3.4 becomes better.

AlBorland
04-23-2004, 09:58 AM
simpe and stupid answer :idea:

use knoppix 3.3 untill knoppix 3.4 becomes better.

Hi,

that is what I want to avoid: A new hd-install :-(

Durand Hicks
04-24-2004, 04:07 AM
This may not be the answer you want to hear, but have you tried compiling your own kernel? Perhaps the kernel provided by knoppix may be a little overkill especially if you're loading modules you don't need. If you're too new to do it, you can go to www.kernelnewbies.org and read up on how to roll your own. I think everyone should at least try once because no two systems are the same and you can trim the fat from the kernel and/or add features that you desire. It's a hair-pulling experience when trying to come up with the best configuration but in general, it's worth it. OTOH, Klaus had every module for sound including alsa compiled with the kernel, have you tried alsa? It's said to be more robust than oss, and should enable you to use the external mute button, but then again, you can also mute it by using kmixer if you're using kde as your desktop environment.