PDA

View Full Version : Can't login to Debian login screen

turbines
04-16-2004, 08:01 PM
I installed Knoppix to my hard drive along with Win XP. I installed LILO to the MBR and it seems to boot to either properly. When Linux completes the boot I get a Debian login screen asking for my user name and password. I enter "root" (without quotes) for the user name and then when I put the root password in I get a login failure message. When I try to login as "koppix" and use the user password the screen blinks for a moment and returns to the login window. What am I missingt?

Stephen
04-16-2004, 08:45 PM
I installed Knoppix to my hard drive along with Win XP. I installed LILO to the MBR and it seems to boot to either properly. When Linux completes the boot I get a Debian login screen asking for my user name and password. I enter "root" (without quotes) for the user name and then when I put the root password in I get a login failure message. When I try to login as "koppix" and use the user password the screen blinks for a moment and returns to the login window. What am I missingt?

In the menu option at the login screen choose KDE instead of default that is preselected for the session type. BTW you should not be logging in as root if you need root access while running graphically then open a console window (the monitor with a shell on it in the taskbar) and use the su command then enter the root password and you can now do whatever you needed to do as root.

OErjan
04-16-2004, 08:54 PM
or even better
su -c "comand" actually the " MUST be there, so for runing vi on /etc/fstab i would do
su -c "vi /etc/fstab"
I will then be asked for rootpass.
the comand and ONLY that will run as root, if i shut it down, it crashes... privileges are lost. so slightly less risk of accidentaly do something bad as root.
OErjan

baldyeti
04-17-2004, 04:40 PM
Perhaps you're not using an English keyboard, and the proper driver hasn't been activated? Check under /etc/console and the XKbLayout entry in your /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 file.