PDA

View Full Version : "Undefined mode" error

Mustang64
04-17-2004, 05:21 AM
Installed Knoppix from CD - everything seems to have gone just as advertised. My hat's off to all who have worked on this project. :-D

My hardware is an HP Pavilion, Model XL759, with 512MB RAM, 40G hard drive and M70 monitor. Hard drive is divided into: hda1 - 15G – Win ME; hda2 - 5G – Knoppix; hda3 – 5G - ext3 – empty for now; hda4 - 15G+ - raw.

My problem lies with the boot-up sequence. Booting off CD, or HD, I get the following message “You passed an undefined mode number”, then has me enter something about screen columns and rows. It doesn't seem to matter what I enter at the “boot” prompt, I get the same message.

Display seems to work fine. How do I get rid of this blip – it is getting annoying! If I just let things run default, everything work as it should. I just don't want to waist the time going through this “undefined mode number” routine every time I boot in? :(

Stephen
04-17-2004, 05:57 AM
Try typing in then enter knoppix vga=normal at the opening screen cheat codes (http://www.knoppix.net/docs/index.php/CheatCodes) you may want to check out you can use more than one one the line at the same time eg. knoppix vga=normal screen=800x600 in this case would use the 800x600 for the screen size in addition to not using the framebuffer.