PDA

View Full Version : Like to format w2k disc

juham
04-17-2004, 02:00 PM
My harddisc that contained w2k system(NTFS) is damaged somehow and will not cooperate with Windows programs at any way. I event can't install new w2k with installation discs because get blue screen with NTFS_FILE_SYSTEM error. I get Knoppix 3.3 and that works! With Knoppix that I could save my important files from harddisc and see all the w2k files.

Now I like to get harddisc to work to install w2k again. I have not managed to format that harddrive with QTparted program. For some reason Knoppix won't change the read/write mode of that hard disc partition. What should I make to format harddisc?

---
Juha

firebyrd10
04-17-2004, 03:54 PM
press alt-f2 two in KDE and type "sudo qtparted"

rickenbacherus
04-17-2004, 05:15 PM
My harddisc that contained w2k system(NTFS) is damaged somehow and will not cooperate with Windows programs at any way. I event can't install new w2k with installation discs because get blue screen with NTFS_FILE_SYSTEM error. I get Knoppix 3.3 and that works! With Knoppix that I could save my important files from harddisc and see all the w2k files.

Now I like to get harddisc to work to install w2k again. I have not managed to format that harddrive with QTparted program. For some reason Knoppix won't change the read/write mode of that hard disc partition. What should I make to format harddisc?

---
Juha

If you have removed everything from your hdd I would strongly suggest zeroing the entire disc before partitioning and formatting. This is easy to do. Boot Knoppix, open a terminal and enter:

dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/hda

Of course make sure you really want to zero the drive before you start. ;)

mcaycedo
04-17-2004, 09:01 PM
try sudo cfdisk

is more stable than qtparted