PDA

View Full Version : Kcontrol not working after kde 3.2 upgrade

baldyeti
04-17-2004, 02:09 PM
Howdy. In a fit of curiosity I finally upgraded my KDE version to whatever is available in the "unstable" pool. Mostly 3.2.1, of course, but konqueror is at 3.2.2; go figure... Anyway things mostly seem to work, except I've noticed kcontrol is broken. It starts, but has no usable options/dialogs. Has anyone seen and resolved this before?

Oh yes - and menus are a mess - most apps are now under a new debian top-level menu. Yuck!

m_yates
04-17-2004, 05:13 PM
I didn't notice exactly the problem you describe, but I did run into problems with application crashes and weird things. I thought it was becasue some of my packages were still 3.1.X and some were 3.2.X since apt doesn't upgrade everything. What I did was:
apt-get remove libarts1 kdelibs4to remove all of KDE, then
apt-get -t unstable install kdeto re-install with all of my packages from unstable.

I am running KDE 3.2 now and everything works fine (kcontrol shows no problems and reports KDE version 3.2.2).

baldyeti
04-17-2004, 06:38 PM
Hi m_yates; thanks for your suggestions, but it did not rectify the situation for me. Oh well, it did not hurt either, apparently! What I find puzzlings is that the "kde" meta-package is version 3.1.2, whereas some packages (amongst which konqueror and kcontrol) are tagged a3.2.2 - I hope the a does not stand for alpha. Would it be possible to retrieve kcontrol 3.2.1? I tried "apt-get install kcontrol=3.2.1" but no such package is to be found. Any suggestion, folks?

m_yates
04-17-2004, 07:00 PM
The old version (3.2.1) of kcontrol is here:

http://snapshot.debian.net/archive/2004/03/06/debian/pool/main/k/kdebase/

baldyeti
04-17-2004, 08:14 PM
Thanks for the link. I tried kcontrol 3.2.1, but to no avail. I guess I'll just refresh in a few weeks.

Cheers,

--bald

baldyeti
04-18-2004, 12:03 AM
Alright, just in case anyone has the same problem, I found a solution on the mepis (http://www.mepis.org/node/view/1806/6638) forum. in short: use the menu editor to delete the debian folder (there was also a phantom OOo entry for me), and all will be well.

Sigh. I had patiently waited for those 3.2.1 packages to enter a debian pool thinking this would mean trouble-free upgrade, but nope. Sometimes I wonder about sid... Frankly, upgrading linux is not nearly as painless as I'd like. Anyone with FreeBSD experience care to compare?

Now, it seems KDE 3.2 deserves all the praise it received. Konqueror as a browser has well matured, probably benefitting from the Apple patches. I can't believe some suggested to just ditch this fast little browser that could from the knoppix 3.4 release!