PDA

View Full Version : Hard Drive Install Experience

gabbman
12-12-2002, 05:58 PM
Well I followed the hard drive install, and it went for the most part as expected, (Libranet being my only other debian install experience).

What I found unusual, is after the initial boot to kde and the language conversion, I then needed to run ppp0econf to connect my adsl modem, this I found could only be done as root, my sound only worked as root, and my printer only configured as root, but no provision was made to log me in as regular user, only a knoppix user. Nothing of course worked as a knoppix user, and my windows partition was not set up or recognized on install, not even grub picked it up.

Now I am familiar with setting this all up, it's just that I was not prepared to spend so much time doing things that should have been looked after on install. Or at the very least given the opportunity to configure during the install process. The install is the weakest link.

To make a long storey short, it feels and drives nice, but needs far too much manual adjustment for basic things after install.

It works much better as it's intended use, a demo disc. I had no trouble configuring anything.

Nice job so far I'll keep an eye for updates.

gabbman
12-13-2002, 01:59 AM
Just realised I was using a sept/02 version. Sorry didn't know so much has changed, now downloading 12/11/02.

gabbman
12-13-2002, 02:15 PM
Pretty much the same results. I don't understand how the demo detects windows partition, both cd drives, and I can pppoe to the internet, off the demo side. I also notice the hardware detection is bang on the money.

Now install it to the harddrive, and it all goes to hell in a handbasket, and to make it worse you go to edit /ppp/chapsecrets and other config files , and they are in german.

I will stick to libranet.