PDA

View Full Version : why so hard to install RP?

Valhalla
04-19-2004, 03:22 AM
I have tried to install realplayer several times in all different manners. I have used 3 different command lines from searches I have done to no avail. Why is it so hard to install this simple program. I am trying to use linux more and be less dependent on windows but I can't see myself spending half a day trying to install a simple program like realplayer. Am I totally missing something? Can somebody help me out here?

fingers99
04-19-2004, 03:36 AM
Real Player is a bit of an oddity in that it's a proprietary (read evil) program -- you have to pretty much accept the dependencies and packaging laid down by real.

I got it installed.

If you let us know exactly what you're trying to install and posted the error messages, we might be able to help.......

Valhalla
04-19-2004, 05:13 AM
Thanks for the reply fingers. I am about brain dead tonite from trying to absorb all the new stuff in knoppix. Whenever I followed directions that I found to install with alien I kept getting the error that no such file or dir exsisted, even when I set the path. Then I downloaded and followed to the letter the directions on the real website and succeded in making the chmod u+X rp7_linux_alpha_libc6_cs2.bin executable (or it appeared that way as I got no errors) But when I went to execute the binary I got an error saying that it could not execute the binary.

I am to tired to try anymore tonite but I am going to try again first thing in the morning.

If you could give me directions on how you were able to install I would appreciate it. I would like to install RP8 and upgrade to RP9 codecs, that is if I can ever figure out how to install it in the first place:)

I am using knoppix 3.3

fingers99
04-20-2004, 04:44 AM
From memory, I built it from a tar file (it'd be <something_or_other>.tar.gz).

Stephen
04-20-2004, 08:05 AM
I have tried to install realplayer several times in all different manners. I have used 3 different command lines from searches I have done to no avail. Why is it so hard to install this simple program. I am trying to use linux more and be less dependent on windows but I can't see myself spending half a day trying to install a simple program like realplayer. Am I totally missing something? Can somebody help me out here?

Add this to your /etc/apt/sources.list.

## Various Multimedia Helper Apps Mplayer, Real, etc.. ##
deb ftp://ftp.nerim.net/debian-marillat/ unstable main

Then dselect update and apt-get install realplayer you will want to have found and downloaded the file rp8_linux20_libc6_i386_cs2_rpm before trying the install (the _ in the name of the file may be . I seem to remember having to rename it) then when the installer asks for the location tell it where you saved the file.