PDA

View Full Version : How do I add fat32 partition after Linux install?

bilzer
04-19-2004, 06:45 AM
I installed linux on WinXP machine, leaving unassigned space between NTFS partitions and Ext2 partitions.
Now, if I try to create a Fat32 partition in order to manipulate data between OS's I can no longer access linux (cant find kernel). So I have deleted the Fat32 for now.
lilo is in MBR, accidentally.
Is there a way to add the Fat32 without messing up access to linux?
Thanks for any help. :?:

OErjan
04-19-2004, 06:15 PM
it might be that you have to rise the number on your / partition in lilo.conf. by one, and rerun lilo.
why i think this? lilo is looking for a partition that is now say no3 and it becoes no4 when you add the new partition. my 2 atoms worth of advise on the matter.

kidclueless
04-19-2004, 06:40 PM
i know a super easy fix. install XOSL andin the boot options, hide the newly created partition from linux. You wont be able to access the partition from within minux,. but hey,. atleast you will get to use the space in windows.

OErjan
04-19-2004, 06:46 PM
eeeh? wouldn't that kind of make that partition useless for him?

kidclueless
04-19-2004, 08:05 PM
not really,. he will still get to use it in windows. my suggestion is the easiest fix, short of hacking the hell out of his linux install or reinstalling linux.

bilzer
04-19-2004, 10:24 PM
Thanks for the replies.
If I raise the number in lilo wouldn't I need also to change /etc/fstab to the new number?
Would there be any other change required?

baldyeti
04-20-2004, 09:54 AM
If I raise the number in lilo wouldn't I need also to change /etc/fstab to the new number?

Yes. I think OErjan is spot on. I suggest that once you've booted from the knoppix cd, you run "sudo cfdisk" (from a command prompt). This will show you your new partition numbers after having inserted a new fat32 one. You can then mount your original HD root (/mnt/hdaN), carefully review and adapt its /etc/lilo.conf and /etc/fstab files, and finally rerun "lilo -v".

OErjan
04-20-2004, 06:06 PM
kidclueless: his reason for creating the partition was so he could swap files between windirt and Linux.
if the partition was hidden from linux that would be impossible, or am i wrong?
btw hiding partitins is something that GRUB can do that, atleas it is in the manual.

bilzer
04-20-2004, 10:08 PM
Thanks again for replies.
I did the sudo etc., got the new numbers.
Tried to log back in with the knoppix disk using several combinations to make the changes but cannot find the root.
Could you please give me the exact wording for your suggestion listed below?

mount your original HD root (/mnt/hdaN),

baldyeti
04-20-2004, 10:56 PM
Could you please give me the exact wording for your suggestion listed below?

mount your original HD root (/mnt/hdaN),
I think it's easier to just boot to text mode: type "knoppix 2" at the CD boot prompt (you can add the other parameters your system might need, in particular "lang=xy" if you are using a non-english keyboard).
Once at the command prompt, you're working as root. Launch "cfdisk /dev/hda" and take note of all partitions, in particular the one(s) marked as linux type - if you have several, identify the one that used to be your root file system. This will give you the "N" I referred to above.
Now type "mount /mnt/hdaN", then "chroot /mnt/hdaN", then "cd etc". (for the appropriate numerical value of N)
Adapt fstab and lilo.conf to reflect the new root partition number. Use "mcedit" if you are not familiar with "vi".
Finally, type "lilo -v" and pay attention to possible error messages.
If there are none, you should now be able to reboot into your knoppix install.

bilzer
04-21-2004, 05:43 AM
I was ok with last instruction down to the lilo which wouldnt work.
Then I messed things up and will need to re-install (have backup of /etc and /home).
I will try to create the fat32, then re-install.