PDA

View Full Version : Setting up new passwords after HD install

turbines
04-20-2004, 01:26 AM
I followed the instructions below in the article for newbies but when I click on the root shell icon I am asked for a password. If I use the password created during install all I get is an "incorrect password" error. What am I missing? Inprevious installations I have been able to get to that screen without any problems.

]"Click on 'K' at the lower left hand corner of your screen, scroll to KNOPPIX and then click on the 'root shell' icon. This will open a back screen with a strange looking prompt 'root@ttyp1[knoppix]#'. Just type in the command 'passwd', you will be prompted to 'Enter new UNIX password:' and 'Retype new UNIX password:'. Enter whatever password you have chosen for the administrator and that's it. For the 'knoppix' user, just do the same thing but type in 'passwd knoppix'. You can then close the window by either typing 'exit' or clicking on the 'x' icon on the upper right corner of the window."

[/i]

MongooseNX
04-20-2004, 01:36 AM
I've had similar problems in the past when I've used symbols such as @#$%^&,etc in my password. If I used all letters it seems to work fine.

Somebody suggested to me that during the hd install the keyboard may be mapped to a german keyboard, thereby making the symbol keys different when you boot into english.

Hope that helps

Robert

turbines
04-20-2004, 01:23 PM
Yes that was exactly the problem. Not only are symbols a problem with the german keyboard but certain letters like "Y" are also a problem. The "Y" and "Z" are transposed on the German KB and there are propbably other characters too. This seems to only be a problem during the initial installation and password creation. After the installation you can create new passwords from the root shell that do use symbols, etc and they seem to work ok.

Thanks