PDA

View Full Version : Mount NTFS in read/write-mode

walterma
04-20-2004, 09:52 AM
Hi,
I have installed WinXP on a NTFS-Disk and I can't save a file on this disk, because it is mount in readonly-mode! So, how can I mount a NTFS in the read AND write mode???

eco2geek
04-20-2004, 10:32 AM
Short answer: don't even try. Linux's support for the NTFS file system is flaky and you run a good chance of corrupting your data.

If you want NTFS support on a live CD, check out the Linux Defender Live! (http://www.distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=linux+defender+live) CD, a Knoppix remaster which includes the Captive project's (http://www.jankratochvil.net/project/captive/) drivers for reading & writing to NTFS.

(Is this question answered in the FAQs? It seems to get asked a lot.)

arkaine23
04-20-2004, 08:35 PM
You'll also find captive-NTFS in the soon-to-be-released Knoppix 3.4, the already-released Knoppix 3.4 Cebit edition, and the remastered versions of 3.4 cebit.

roger_girardin
04-21-2004, 12:45 AM
i have installed linux on a laptop there is win2k installed on it (ntfs)

i have build a fat partition under windows with partition magic

so i can use it as a share zone

i hope it helped

regards

Bob_Foster
04-25-2004, 10:19 PM
I am a newbie to knoppix (although I do have SuSE installed in a multipartition mode). It looks great!

There is the fundamental problem of how to install new programs and data when running from the CD.

However, and I can tell this is an old question, the standard computer where knoppix would be used is running either W2K or XP probably with ntfs.

I have been reading about not writing to ntfs partitions (before version 3.4!).

However, most all computers are on some kind of network, usually high speed. At work we have domain shares.

Mounting a share over the network seems to be no problem.

The question is, "Is it safe to write to windows shares?" If so, it would seem to solve the problem and just install the programs and data to the share. Not as fast a hard drive but should be plenty fast enough for many applications.

Is there a problem with this?

Thanks in advance.

Bob

eco2geek
04-26-2004, 07:52 AM
Is there a problem with this?

No. There is absolutely no problem reading from/writing to Windows shares over the network, using Samba.