PDA

View Full Version : no more usb, pcmcia, network, sound,... pls help

andromeda
04-21-2004, 09:21 AM
hello
after trying knoppix live-cd 3.2 and 3.3 i was very impressed. as you expect everything worked immediately: network over pcmcia, usb, old partitions.
convinced, this is the chance to finaly leave windows behind and start a new aera. so i did a hd-install.

:roll:
well, you guessed it, problems started after the first reboot. although not a big issue i proudly managed to use loadlin by booting through windows to start knoppix (lilo hangs).

first login.... i ended up with no sound, no usb, no pcmcia and therefore no access to internet neither. hours of going through files and faqs i capitulate.

:?:
my knowledge is not enought to re-enable the marvellous self-configuration of periferals as it worked while using knoppix live cd. can anybody help, please?

mzilikazi
04-23-2004, 12:12 AM
Well that's what happens when you install something that was never meant to be on the hdd. :) Go here: http://kanotix.com/files/ get the 'fix-all' script and run it. Hopefully that does the trick. Then once you get booted in Linux maybe do

apt-get install grub
grub-install /dev/hda
update-grub

Then you *should* be able to boot either OS (and I use the term OS loosely when referring to anything from Redmond) :P

andromeda
04-23-2004, 01:36 PM
hi mzilikazi
thanks a lot for your help. unfortunately fix-all-global.bash did not resolve my problems.
well, I consider to step-back to knoppix 3.2 which seemed to work and learn installing software i'm in need (already messed up a lot with my trials before)... or hope that version 3.4 will come up soon without my problems.
for sure i will try grub after it runs :-)
cu, best wishes out of the stars
andromeda

Well that's what happens when you install something that was never meant to be on the hdd. :) Go here: http://kanotix.com/files/ get the 'fix-all' script and run it. Hopefully that does the trick. Then once you get booted in Linux maybe do

apt-get install grub
grub-install /dev/hda
update-grub

Then you *should* be able to boot either OS (and I use the term OS loosely when referring to anything from Redmond) :P