PDA

View Full Version : Trouble letting go of Windows

george d
04-21-2004, 11:06 PM
I've just installed Knoppix on my hard disk, and was really impressed with how easy it was, but there are a couple of things I'd like to sort out before I get rid of windows altogether (I installed Knoppix on a partition that was used by windows, so now it's dual boot and I'm planning on formatting the windows partition for Linux once I'm sure I won't miss it):

When I logout and choose "turn off computer", instead of shutting down altogether it restarts and goes back to lilo. to turn off I have to load windows and shut down from there.

With windows i have a program called 'photoimpression' that downloads pictures from a digital camera, and which also allowed it to be used 'live', so a moving picture is displayed on the screen which can either be recorded as a video file, or there is a button called 'capture' which you click to take the picture shown on the screen. I've found gtkam, which seems to do only the first of these. Is there a Linux program that does the rest? And though gtkam worked from the cd I now get "Could not list folders in '/'" when i try to access the camera. I imagine this is something to do with 'permissions', but being new to Linux I'm not sure exactly what.

In the bar at the bottom of Konqeror (where URLs are displayed when you hover over a link) there is some text that appears on the left, only you can only see the bottom of one line and the top of the next. Probably not important, but odd.

and a very minor point: " and @ are swapped around on the keyboard.

As you can probably tell I don't know anything about Linux (and little enough about Windows). Can anyone recommend an easy introduction?

cheers,

George

fingers99
04-22-2004, 03:44 AM
The issue with Konq is probably down to the font being used.

Can't give you any specific help with gtkam, but I'm sure it is a permissions issue.

" and @ are swapped around on the keyboard.

Almost certainly this is down to the wrong keyboard being selected. If you live mainly in Kde land, Control Center > Peripherals > Keyboard should enable you to select the right one.

Note that there is something on digital cameras there, too.

The best book on Linux is rute. You can buy it (hardcopy -- do a google it to find the publishers) or apt-get it.

(as root)

apt-get update && apt-get install rutebook

It's neither simple or difficult. It is pretty damn comprehensive.

A HOWTO I like is the DOS/Windows to Linux HOWTO. You might try googling for it.

HTH and have fun!