PDA

View Full Version : LCD is Fuzzy/resolution hosed

WinH8r
04-22-2004, 02:49 AM
I installed knoppix today (my first Linux system EVER!) after playing with the liveCD. Gotta say I was really impressed how it detected all my hardware and runs them properly, everything that is except my LCD screen.

I have a Wal*Mart special, a 15" KDS monitor, max res 1024x768. I'm also using a GeForce FX5200 128MB AGP card for video. My screen is fuzzy in random places. I've tried to change the resolution and refresh rate of the monitor in the KDE control center, but upon reboot, my screen is shifted to the left about 1/4 of an inch and it's still fuzzy as heck. The settings aren't being saved either. It's like if I touch the monitor or video settings, regardless of what they are, my screen is hosed. I can't change the resolution nor can I change the refresh rate. Well, I can, but when it reboots it all goes to heck and I have to completely reinstall knoppix from the liveCD. But after the reinstall, it goes right back to the way it was before, a correct screen resolution, but it's fuzzy. At least the screen is centered.

Also, it says in the control menu that my video card is nv. I suppose this is a generic setting for my card, but I'm afraid to even install any 3D games like Quake 3 or Enemy Territory, which I'm dying to try out in Linux for the first time.

I do appologize if this isn't the first time someone has posted this sort of problem, I did a search on the boards for "LCD" and read through all of them, but none really seemed to touch on my problem.

If you happen to read this and have "gaim" my name is Aclockworkric. Please feel free to PM me on gaim if you might have a solution, but also remember this is my first time with linux, so please be gentle.

WinH8r
04-22-2004, 06:20 AM
Ok, when I'm not in xwindows the screen isn't funny, so I've narrowed it down to the problem is contained when I'm in xWindows. So would this be a KDE issue?