roger_girardin
04-22-2004, 10:18 AM
hi all

i have installed knoppix on a vaio laptop PIII 866 512mo ram HD27go

i will list all my probs in one topic

1) the hd
on the init screen, it says the dma is assuming at 33mz

2) the keyboard
on caps lock mode, i can get the numbers to display 0->9, i have to hold the shift key to print the numbers
i have tryed all keyboards on the keyboard managers but i couldn't get it to work properly

3) The screen
i 'm blocked to 640x480 even i use the config manager and change to 600x800, it will reboot on the low resolution mode
i have changed the /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 file and add a # at each line with low resolution
but anyway
root@sony_vaio:/usr/src/kernel-source-2.6.3# mkxf86config
Video is (yet) unknown card, using XFree86(vesa) Server
Monitor is Generic Monitor, H:28.0-96.0kHz, V:50.0-75.0Hz
Using Modes "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"

4) I have tryed to upgrade the kernel to 2.6.3 (on the vaio & a terminator box too)
i have tryed all tips on this forum and on the forum related links
i can't get make menuconfig to work
i have the asm/socket.h problem
strangely if i give the make command, it works and the term ask line by line the new config
then make menuconfig works
i take my .config file and move to /usr/src/linux and save
then
make-kpkg buildpackage -rev Custom.1 kernel_image gives the asm/socket.h error
and all commands trying to build give that error

i have seen it could be a knoppix kernel header prob so :
i tryed to change the headers but the os didn't let it => so i have removed the headers => lol
and now i can't get it back

thanks for reading all my probs, i prefered to put all in one topic

Durand Hicks
04-22-2004, 12:25 PM
Well, I can answer what I can.

1) Put idebus=66 in the append="" line in /etc/lilo.conf.
2) Don't know about that one, My laptop keyboard won't let me switch to number lock mode either.
3) If your screen was good when booting knoppix from the cd, then boot to the cd, and copy the /etc/X11/xf86cong-4 file from the ramdisk to the chroot hd installation. That will fix it in a jiffy. If it doesn't, post back with more info about video card, or better yet, post results of lspci -vv > lspci.txt to here.
4) Others have reported similar problems and fix which has to do with the asm symlink pointing to the wrong asm architecture type for your hardware. In /usr/src/linux/include/asm should point to /usr/src/linux/include/asm-i386. Fix that by using the following commands:
cd /usr/src/linux/include
rm asm
ln -s /usr/src/linux/include/asm-i386 asm
Try running make xconfig again and it should work.

HTH,

Durand