PDA

View Full Version : how can I get in the hd-installed Knoppix?

lmsaga
04-23-2004, 03:42 PM
I have hd-installed Knoppix, but I have not install LILO to the MBR(because I think I can install it on other partition like Redhat), and because my laptop has no Floppy driver, so I have not make the Rescue diskette either, so, How can I get in the Knoppix on my hd?

help,help!

mcaycedo
04-23-2004, 05:04 PM
try http://gag.sourceforge.net/

It's a graphical boot manager. When you download the package there is and ISO file (below 10 mb). You burn this image and boot your machine with this cd. This aplication replaces Lilo and is highly configurable. So, you can find you knoppix.

If you want, you could work from the cd without installation in your MBR. The only downside with this, it's that you have to configure wich operational system you want to boot

OErjan
04-23-2004, 07:18 PM
you can use the cd to boot knoppxhddinstall.
OR
you could instal LILO to a bootable partition. that would work almost as well (just mke your / prtition bootable and install lilo tere (lilo -b /dev/hda3 to install lilo on the bootable partition hda3)
OR
you could use NTldr (windows NT4, 2000, XP...) to bot linux (compilcated process bt it works). you might have to write to a hddpartition but...

to do that I let the nt bootloader and lilo work together for me. works well.
quick sketch what i do, write LILO to a floppy, make a "image" of the floppy-mbr put that image in C:\ edit BOOT.INI mine looks like this.

Quote:
[boot loader]
timeout=2
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOW S
[operating systems]
C:\linux.ipl="LINUX"
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" /fastdetect

a few more details.

1) make lilo write to floppy, have this line in lilo.conf:
Code:
boot=/dev/fd0

or give floppy as an argument to lilo
Code:
lilo -b /dev/fd0

2) make a image of the floppy-mbr: and put it in C:\
Code:
dd if=/dev/fd0 of=/mnt/C/linux.ipl bs=512 count=1

3) Modifiy c:\boot.ini -- add a line with:
Code:
C:\linux.ipl="Linux"

repeat 1) and 2) every time you run LILO.

Microsoft ntldr now believes you have yet another windows installed. happy booting
oh btw, i have several linuxes booting from that same lilo.

lmsaga
04-23-2004, 10:05 PM
thank you for your nice idea, but the problem is that I have no floppy driver in my laptop, that's so a pity. Anyway, I can try the first method.

Markus
04-23-2004, 10:23 PM
If you chose to put lilo in your root partition instead of the MBR you can do:
"dd if=/dev/hd?? of=/bootsect.lnx bs=512 count=1" where ?? is you root partition. Then just copy the bootsect.lnx file to C:\ and follow the rest of OErjans instructions for the boot.ini.
Oops, change linux.ipl to bootsect.lnx in boot.ini.

lmsaga
04-23-2004, 10:32 PM
I just want use this method, but I can't get into HD-Knoppix, I have try to use ""dd if=/dev/hd?? of=/bootsect.lnx bs=512 count=1" in CD-knoppix,but have no function,linux can't boot

Markus
04-23-2004, 10:50 PM
You need to boot the cd and chroot into your hdinstall to run lilo and make the file with dd.
- Boot cd
- open a terminal
- type: mount /dev/hdXY /mnt/hdXY (where X is the disk and Y partition for root)
- type: chroot /mnt/hdXY/ /sbin/lilo -v (to run lilo on the hdinstall)
- type: cd /
- type: dd if=/dev/hdXY of=/bootsect.lnx bs=512 count=1
- copy the file to C:\ if it's fat, floppy or some other if it's ntfs
- type: ctrl-d (to exit from chroot)
- add the line to C:\boot.ini (after rebooting to windows)
- reboot and cross fingers :)
hope I remembered it correctly.

lmsaga
04-23-2004, 11:54 PM
Thanks Markus, I have solved it , your method is just functional :P

OErjan
04-24-2004, 08:50 AM
this is a good example what linuxspirit is. help where/as much (or littel) you can :-), thanks for clarifying for me Markus, i was not 100% when i wrote that (friday night...)