PDA

View Full Version : mounting data cd is no problem but can't mount audio cd's

ldp
04-23-2004, 04:52 PM
Hello,
I'm currently trying to get my sound to work but it's not working out fine since I can't even mount any audio cd's. Mounting data-cd's is working fine.

I get the following error when I try to mount an audio cd using the fstab commands.
root@fUBill:/# mount /dev/cdaudio
mount: slechte bestandssysteem soort, slechte optie, slecht superblok op /dev/cdaudio,
of teveel aangekoppelde bestandssystemen

English I think it's like: bad filesystem, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/cdaudio or too many connected filesystems.

my fstab file line:
/dev/cdaudio /cdaudio iso9660 defaults,ro,user,noexec,noauto 0 0
I have almost identical lines to in fstab to mount cdrom, ... only the device and the directory are different but all have the same error message.

The system sounds seem to work fine, I can hear them through the speakers.

But when I try to play any mp3 file via audacity I get the error:
error opening audio device which is /dev/dsp in the preferences.
But wmxmms works fine to play mp3 so this might have nothing to do with it.

= can I conclude from this that my soundcard is not working fine? The working system sounds and wmxmms seem to prove the opposite.

Anyway, what filesystem should I use when mounting audio cd?
for info: I tried to play cd without mounting with KsCD but it gives no sound at all but also no error messages.

Thanks already for any response.

rgds,
Lieven

fingers99
04-24-2004, 12:36 AM
Anyway, what filesystem should I use when mounting audio cd?

You don't mount audio CDs!

You don't need to. Assuming you want to play an audio CD, pop it in the drive, open up Kmix (Kmenu > Multimedia > Sound > Kmix) speaker icon appears on taskbar. Right click on it, select Show Mixer Window. Whack the vulume under the CD icon right up.

Now Kmenu > Multimedia > Sound > KsCD

and your CD should play. (Note that KsCD has it's own horizontal volume control.

ldp
04-25-2004, 02:47 PM
I tried what you say but there's no sound although the counter is running and I can switch to next song. I'm sure 100% that the volume is up in both mixer and KsCD. I think I just have to rip my cd to mp3 and then I can play it fine with xmms.

fingers99
04-25-2004, 09:47 PM
Does it work through KsCD and the headphones plug on the front of the CDROM?