PDA

View Full Version : cant create user / getting error

stillstanding
04-23-2004, 05:38 PM
I boot up knoppix and open the root command box. I type adduser and it asks me to add a user. I type in the username i want to add and it gives me the following error:

"cant contact port mapper: rpc remote system error - connection refused."

Anyone know how to fix this. I need to create a user.

bernardi

eco2geek
04-23-2004, 06:37 PM
You could use the KDE User Manager (KUser, on the System menu) and avoid all this mess, although you'd have to set a root password first.

But to avoid the RPC error, start the portmap daemon first, as root: /etc/init.d/portmap start

Then, you'll get errors about Knoppix not being able to open the shadow group file, which you can duck by making your user a member of an existing group.

For example, as root: adduser --ingroup knoppix eco2geek

HTH.

stillstanding
04-23-2004, 08:02 PM
thanks it worked. I was trying to install the linux version of aim. I downloaded it and attempted to follow the instructions on the aim web site. It just wasnt happening. How do i download and run a program such as AIM?

OErjan
04-23-2004, 09:24 PM
to install things yoy need to have knoppix on hdd, and then not as poormans insall.
you canot write tio the cd, ok there might be ways but not easily and not without remastering (atleast i think not).
klik might work (a pakage system soeone has developed) never tried it and only skimmed the text, i am probably wrong , but i guess there are limitations.
here is the link
http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7680
and agin i have no idea if/how it works.

mzilikazi
04-23-2004, 09:39 PM
thanks it worked. I was trying to install the linux version of aim. I downloaded it and attempted to follow the instructions on the aim web site. It just wasnt happening. How do i download and run a program such as AIM?

Well Knoppix already has GAIM which speaks the AIM, Yahoo & MSN protocols.