PDA

View Full Version : after apt-get upgrade xdm default login

psoleko
04-23-2004, 10:19 PM
Hello first post here, must say I am loving Knoppix. I was searching for anything similar to my configuration problem and couldn't find anything. Basically, I did an apt-get upgrade, afterwards my graphical login changed to xdm instead of kdm. I can login normally to KDE with my username, but I would like to have the KDE login back, as it is a much more robust login. I launched ksysv and noticed that xdm and kdm both start (along with more stuff I don't need), when I remove xdm I get dropped to command line on boot. Also from that commandline I can just type kdm (as root) and get into the graphical login..great. But I want my box to start into the KDE login all the time. I also noticed watching the boot process that when it passes KDM it says it's not my default wm...blarg :( . Any help would be much appreciated.

Timos
04-23-2004, 10:30 PM
check the file /etc/X11/default-display-manager, it contains the binary for the default display manager

Timo

psoleko
04-23-2004, 10:47 PM
hmmm thanks. I think I am on the right track, I pointed it to /etc/kde3/kdm although that might be wrong. It still won't boot into KDE but I might just have it pointing to the wrong place. Back to work :roll:

Stephen
04-24-2004, 02:40 AM
hmmm thanks. I think I am on the right track, I pointed it to /etc/kde3/kdm although that might be wrong. It still won't boot into KDE but I might just have it pointing to the wrong place. Back to work :roll:

That would be incorrect then.

HappyTux:/home/stephen# cat /etc/X11/default-display-manager
/usr/bin/kdm

You should change it to this, here are a couple of other things to check.

HappyTux:/home/stephen# update-alternatives --display x-session-manager
x-session-manager - status is auto.
link currently points to /usr/bin/startkde
/usr/bin/startkde - priority 40
Current `best' version is /usr/bin/startkde.
HappyTux:/home/stephen# cat .wmrc
kde3

You would need to use --config in the line if you need to change the session manager and you can just create the .wmrc in your home directory if it does not exist. If none of these work then try apt-get --reinstall install kdm to try and get back the default settings.

psoleko
04-24-2004, 03:32 AM
That did it, I am back up with the nice KDE login. Also grabbed synaptic from apt-get, much nicer than dselect 8) Thank you for the help Timos and Stephen, I have been messing with Linux since Red Hat 4 something, but have never dived into Debian (still a n00b though). Now to get WineX going for a little gaming :twisted:

rimsky
05-16-2004, 07:32 PM
I'm starting with linux and knoppix. I made a hd-install and created a new user. I could login normally into kde for some time, but now when I type username and passwd it sends me back and back to the login dialog. I can login through console without any problem, but only as root I get a kde environment. I checked all these previous posts and realized that file .wmrc in the user home directory is empty. I can write "kde3" inside the file, but it does not help. When I try to login again I find the file is empty again. some help please.

rimsky
05-16-2004, 10:40 PM
I'm starting with linux and knoppix. I made a hd-install and created a new user. I could login normally into kde for some time, but now when I type username and passwd it sends me back and back to the login dialog. I can login through console without any problem, but only as root I get a kde environment. I checked all these previous posts and realized that file .wmrc in the user home directory is empty. I can write "kde3" inside the file, but it does not help. When I try to login again I find the file is empty again. some help please.
I'm sorry, don't bother answering me, my disk was full..! :?