Old WD Caviar 4GB
256MB Linux swap partition
3.8GB Linux ext2 partition

Setup is:
Acer 32x CDRom
Acer 6206 CD-RW
10GB WD drive on /dev/hda which was wimp98SE w/4 partitions, vfat
4GB WD drive on /dev/hdc

I boot from floppy to the hdc drive for KNOPPIX/debian, it makes it easier for me to go back to wimpdoze on hda. I built a new box to current standards after this one decided it didn't want to access the internet via my LAN or dialup under wimpdoze (Works GREAT under Knoopix!). Eventually wimp xp pro will go onto hda as a way to support this for several reasons .. .

But anyway.....

Booting up into either root or another user doesn't give me all the partitions on hda or my CD-RW

Ok, so somethings not set up right. Using the CD all these were found and cute little icons on the desktop etc...

No problem, fstab is obvisouly the problem, right?

Well before mucking things up, I'll ASK first, before I mess things up OR CORRUPT the hda.

What should I change in fstab, below to get everything to be mounted EACH BOOT for ANY USER.

The icons I think I figured out how to put them back on the desktop, but linux setup is still relativiely new.

/etc/fstab as it stands:

# /etc/fstab: filesystem table.
#
# filesystem mountpoint type options dump pass
/dev/hdc2 / ext2 defaults,errors=remount-ro 0 1
/dev/hdc1 none swap sw 0 0
proc /proc proc defaults 0 0
/dev/fd0 /floppy vfat defaults,user,noauto,showexec,umask=022 0 0
/dev/cdrom /cdrom iso9660 defaults,ro,user,noexec,auto 0 0
# partitions found by Knoppix
#/dev/hdc2 /mnt/hdc2 auto noauto,users,exec 0 0
#/dev/hdc5 /mnt/hdc5 auto noauto,users,exec 0 0
#/dev/hda1 /mnt/hda1 vfat noauto,users,exec,umask=000,uid=knoppix,gid=knoppi x 0 0
#/dev/hda5 /mnt/hda5 vfat noauto,users,exec,umask=000,uid=knoppix,gid=knoppi x 0 0
#/dev/hda6 /mnt/hda6 vfat noauto,users,exec,umask=000,uid=knoppix,gid=knoppi x 0 0
#/dev/hda7 /mnt/hda7 vfat noauto,users,exec,umask=000,uid=knoppix,gid=knoppi x 0 0

What I THINK it should be to solve this....

# /etc/fstab: filesystem table.
#
# filesystem mountpoint type options dump pass
/dev/hdc2 / ext2 defaults,errors=remount-ro 0 1
/dev/hdc1 none swap sw 0 0
proc /proc proc defaults 0 0
/dev/fd0 /floppy vfat defaults,user,noauto,showexec,umask=022 0 0
/dev/cdrom /cdrom iso9660 defaults,ro,user,noexec,noauto 0 0
/dev/cdrom1 /cdrom1 iso9660 defaults,ro,user,noexec,auto 0 0
/dev/hda1 /mnt/hda1 vfat auto,users,exec 0 0
/dev/hda5 /mnt/hda5 vfat auto,users,exec 0 0
/dev/hda6 /mnt/hda6 vfat auto,users,exec 0 0
/dev/hda7 /mnt/hda7 vfat auto,users,exec 0 0

# partitions found by Knoppix
#/dev/hdc2 /mnt/hdc2 auto noauto,users,exec 0 0
#/dev/hdc5 /mnt/hdc5 auto noauto,users,exec 0 0
#/dev/hda1 /mnt/hda1 vfat noauto,users,exec,umask=000,uid=knoppix,gid=knoppi x 0 0
#/dev/hda5 /mnt/hda5 vfat noauto,users,exec,umask=000,uid=knoppix,gid=knoppi x 0 0
#/dev/hda6 /mnt/hda6 vfat noauto,users,exec,umask=000,uid=knoppix,gid=knoppi x 0 0
#/dev/hda7 /mnt/hda7 vfat noauto,users,exec,umask=000,uid=knoppix,gid=knoppi x 0 0

Better way, corrections...???

Thanks!

Stephen
03-01-2003, 07:56 AM
Should work execpt for the cdrom1 line you will have to mkdir cdrom1 as root in the / directory. You did not mention which drive the burner is hdb or hdd (second or fourth) drive depending which it is you should have the line /dev/sr1 /cdrom ... to be able to use it as a burner if it is the second drive or modify the cdrom1 if fourth. Also you will have to edit /etc/lilo.conf file and in the append line change hdb=scsi to hdb=ide-scsi for second drive or make the change for hdd for the fourth drive. After you save the change run /sbin/lilo to commit the changes and re-boot.

rec9140
03-05-2003, 07:46 AM
Should work execpt for the cdrom1 line you will have to mkdir cdrom1 as root in the / directory. You did not mention which drive the burner is hdb or hdd (second or fourth) drive depending which it is you should have the line /dev/sr1 /cdrom ... to be able to use it as a burner if it is the second drive or modify the cdrom1 if fourth. Also you will have to edit /etc/lilo.conf file and in the append line change hdb=scsi to hdb=ide-scsi for second drive or make the change for hdd for the fourth drive. After you save the change run /sbin/lilo to commit the changes and re-boot.

OK, thanks for the help.

CD-RW is fourth drive, IDE 2 Slave 2.

I changed the fstab entry to:
/dev/sr1 /cdrom1 iso9660 defaults,ro,user,noexec,noatuo 0 0

Changed the lilo.conf, and did /sbin/lilo.

Ok, re-did the icons on the desktop to point to the correct device. All is OK, can mount & read the device under KDE/Konqueror.

Should the ro be rw? Since this is a RW drive?

Would this correct the problem k3b has with when I attempt to create a CD-R? Or does k3b not support Acer 6206 CD-RW? I checked the ml, sourceforge pages, and no listing of compatible and/or tested drives.

Also how do you get the CD drives to accept audio discs??? When I stick an audio CD in they whine about not being a correct FS. As I remember it when you right click running under the CD it has the option "Play audio CD."

Would auto v. iso9660 correct this?

Thanks in advance to all for suggestions.

Stephen
03-05-2003, 09:06 AM
You should leave it ro because it is a cdrom. I do not use k3b I use xcdroast to burn and any ide burner should work so it must be some kind of configuration problem. I had to edit the sudoers file (in console as root visudo is the command) and change the line #knoppix ALL=NOPASSWD: ALL to stephen HappyTux=NOPASSWD: /usr/bin/xcdroast change the line to situation this gave me root privilege for the xcdroast program allowing me to burn. Your right about the audio cd's I just checked I guess I am going to look into that myself.

rec9140
03-05-2003, 07:16 PM
You should leave it ro because it is a cdrom. I do not use k3b I use xcdroast to burn and any ide burner should work so it must be some kind of configuration problem. I had to edit the sudoers file (in console as root visudo is the command) and change the line #knoppix ALL=NOPASSWD: ALL to stephen HappyTux=NOPASSWD: /usr/bin/xcdroast change the line to situation this gave me root privilege for the xcdroast program allowing me to burn. Your right about the audio cd's I just checked I guess I am going to look into that myself.

It could be config in k3b, I'll have to check the ml & sourceforge site some more on it.

I may swap the Acer out to a spare Sony drive I have in the parts closet which is newer.

I'll try xcdroast, but when I looked at the first time to try a test, it didn't leave me as "warm & fuzzy" as k3b did. xcdroast seemed to only want to make audio cd's when I started it.

If you get any leads on the audio cd format keep me advised.

Thanks for your assistance.

Stephen
03-07-2003, 09:36 AM
Found a partial solution to the audio cd playing it is as simple as opening up a root console window and typing in kscd and pressing play. It does not seem to want to access the cddb server for track info though. I tried changing permissions on every directory for the cdrom and added myself to the sudoers file and I can only get it to work as root, if I get it figured out I'll post more.

Stephen
03-07-2003, 10:13 PM
Success :D you have to open a root console and chmod +rwx scd0 in the /dev directory. scd0 is the device that /cdrom is linked to and the +rwx gives read,write and execute privileges to everyone.