PDA

View Full Version : CD to HDD Installation Question(s)

Excalibur-DTE
04-25-2004, 11:10 PM
I appologize for asking such question(s) if this is the wrong area to do it in. -- But if anyone could help me out, I would be most appreciative. Thank you in advance.

1) I know that an installation to the HDD can be started from the bootable knoppix CD, but am a little unsure of a few things. First off, will the installation to HDD automatically create a swap partition and new primary partition (or should that be done seperately in linux or windows-- and in what format? ext2?) and.. Second off, will the installation allow me to keep any existing partitions (say if I wanted to keep 1 non bootable primary NTFS partition) ; or will all the partition tables be wiped out?

2) Is it better in your respected opinion to install knoppix to HDD and "add to it", or to use the Debian Linux distro in a networked enviroment?

3) Is there any automation in knoppix to update the KDE enviroment with any patches; etc?

Thank You,
Tim

rickenbacherus
04-26-2004, 03:53 AM
I appologize for asking such question(s) if this is the wrong area to do it in. -- But if anyone could help me out, I would be most appreciative. Thank you in advance.

1) I know that an installation to the HDD can be started from the bootable knoppix CD, but am a little unsure of a few things. First off, will the installation to HDD automatically create a swap partition and new primary partition (or should that be done seperately in linux or windows-- and in what format? ext2?)

No, yes, linux, ext3 or reiser.

and.. Second off, will the installation allow me to keep any existing partitions (say if I wanted to keep 1 non bootable primary NTFS partition) ; or will all the partition tables be wiped out?

The partitioning utility you use be it cfdisk or qtparted is up to you to command. Only you can add, remove or create partitions. There is no capacity for automatic partitioning. You can keep whatever partitions you want as long as you give 3G or so to LInux which is BTW a minimum size. Swap is a must if you have less than 512M ram but I would suggest at least 1G of combined swap/system ram.

2) Is it better in your respected opinion to install knoppix to HDD and "add to it", or to use the Debian Linux distro in a networked enviroment?

I prefer to install Debian from either floppies or cdrom w/ the new sarge installer. If I were to install a live cd to hdd it would be Kanotix.

3) Is there any automation in knoppix to update the KDE enviroment with any patches; etc?

Thank You,
Tim

Not that I know of but you can use apt to get the latest packages from debian.