PDA

View Full Version : KANOTIX BH5 released

horo
04-26-2004, 10:12 AM
http://kanotix.mipooh.net/viewtopic.php?t=1074

c123
04-26-2004, 02:55 PM
seems to be a nice remaster (especially for those with certain USB/PCI DSL modems), however the kernel is still 2.4.x :(

horo
04-27-2004, 08:58 AM
...yes, but it's completely based upon sid and targeted for a smooth hd install. So you don't have the updating problems as in knoppix after dist upgrade.

Ciao Martin

Crusader
04-28-2004, 03:57 PM
As has been pointed out on various technical sites (search around the Waiting for 3.4 threads for someone's link), the only real amazing speed boost in 2.6.3 was on server-based stuff. 2.4.24 was faster for desktop computing uses.
Now, we're up to 2.6.5 and 2.4.26 so things may have changed, but 2.4 is still not exactly a slouch.
Yet anyway.

RockMumbles
04-29-2004, 06:38 AM
I just did a konotix bh5 hd-install yesterday, a "knoppix-install" autodetection at boot-up. It is a faster running system and much easier to upgrade than the previous knoppix hd installs I had done.

~rock

horo
04-29-2004, 10:07 AM
Hi rock,

real programmers use KANOTIX, you're welcome... 8)

Ciao Martin

c123
04-29-2004, 12:08 PM
As has been pointed out on various technical sites (search around the Waiting for 3.4 threads for someone's link), the only real amazing speed boost in 2.6.3 was on server-based stuff. 2.4.24 was faster for desktop computing uses.
Now, we're up to 2.6.5 and 2.4.26 so things may have changed, but 2.4 is still not exactly a slouch.
Yet anyway.

Don't really care about speed, especially considering this is a P2 PE 333Mhz with only 128 MB of RAM...

I'm interested in better firewire support (I have no internal HDD; my HDD is in a firewall enclosure that I connect to using a firewire pc card), that's why I want the new kernel. Firewire suppprt in 2.4 is still pretty rough (it's labelled 'experimental' afterall).

A. Jorge Garcia
05-02-2004, 02:43 PM
horo, you say that real programmers use KANOTIX. Why is that? What is KANOTIX all about? I haven't had a chance to try it.

TIA,
AJG

horo
05-03-2004, 09:11 AM
Hi Jorge,

Kanotix is created by Kano, the "German Knoppix Forum Guru" (>5000 helpful posts). He has worked around many Knoppix bugs, e.g. you are able to install on hd and "apt-get" the System to your need without the fear of breaking important parts.
Kanotix has some booting problems because it uses a 2.88 MB floppy image instead of the standard 1.44 MB image, but it is definitely worth a try!

Ciao Martin

P.S.: Kanotix is released about once a month :D

paradocs
05-04-2004, 05:35 AM
Hi A. Jorge Garcia

I am a fan of kanotix. I have been using BH5
to learn CVS. It has the cvs engine and
the gui front end Cervisia. I know this I beyond
the secondary school level but it might make
a cool and inspiring demonstration for your
students. I assume you have time on
your hands ;-)

You can scroll two versions of a code and
see in color deletions additions and moved code.
You can see log views of project lines branching and merging.
It could show how large projects need team work and
special tool to deal with complexity.

Best Wishes
paradocs

A. Jorge Garcia
05-05-2004, 11:24 PM
Hi paradocs!

Hey, that sounds cool. Yes, we do have a little time on our hands now that my students took their APCS exam Tuesday morning!

Why is kanotix called Bug Hunter anyway?

I'm also looking into clusterKNOPPIX or QUANTIAN to show my students something about running pre-existing cluster apps and writing some of our own. I knoppix-installered QUANTAIN on four PCs on my LAN to experiment with a mini cluster. QUANTIAN on hdd seems a bit buggy, though. Sometimes the KDM login screen doesn't come back when logging off. There seems to be a lot of hdd checks at boot-up. I can only start up openMOSIX after boot-up as root (/etc/init.d/openmosix restart) but am stuck as to how to make it start at boot-up automagically. BTW, how do I have ssh start at boot-up?

What's interesting is that I can ssh into my main server from home (static ip...) and then ssh to one of the openMOSIX PCs and run openmosixview and run a cluster app (say kandel which controls the number of threads as it paints a fractal) no problem. However, after a while ssh dies on the QUANTIAN PCs and I can't access any of them!

Maybe clusterKNOPPIX is less buggy? I tried clusterKNOPPIX from CD once and it locked-up my Dells.... Are there any other KNOPPIX based CDs that use some sort of clustering kernel?

BTW, do any of you know about writing Java code for openMOSIX using green threads?

Thanx,
AJG