PDA

View Full Version : help! burning a Knoppix dvd

nvgringo
04-26-2004, 03:09 PM
Seems that fat 32 does not like files over 2 gigs. NTFS on XP pro seems to be ok with files over 2 gig as does linux fs. I have managed to remaster 3.4 ct. boots in english with nvidia drivers loads of games and other apps. Thing is that the iso was 1.8 gig I copied the ISO to a fat 32 partition and burned the iso to dvd from windows.
Next I tried to modify the iso-top dvd. I have it the way want. I have the 2.1 gig iso to burn to the dvd.
Here is the problem:
1.) I can’t burn the dvd from knoppix because there is a Knoppix dvd in the drive.
2.) I can't get the iso to windows because the file is too big for fat 32. The partition is 10 gig. I also tried formatting the partition NTFS and use NTFS captive. That said operation not permitted after copying about 1.1 gig.
Here is my question:
1.) Assuming that my file structure is as would be created by using remastering how-to in the doc section (with isolinux) is there a way to create a floppy boot disk that would boot my remastered iso from the hard drive? ( isolinux is nested about 3 layers deep)
2.) Is there a Linux command line command that I can use that would burn the image to the dvd? Maybe I could use damn small loaded into ram to free up the dvd drive
3.) The actual KNOPPIX/KNOPPIX was slightly smaller than 2 gig so I was able to recreate the entire file structure in a directory in windows. I tried to recreate the iso I got the error opps cant find /boot/isolinux/isolinux.bin
Does anyone know the windows command line that would create the iso file?

nvgringo
04-27-2004, 03:26 PM
I got the dvd burned. There was an uncompressed file called tools it was 300 meg. Mostly open source stuff for windows and German documentation. I removed it. With the extra space I put in evolution and quake 2. At 1.9 gig I could copy it to the fat 32 partition, then open windows and copy the iso over into my NTFS and burn it with Nero.
The problem remains though. I want to eventually be able to burn an image greater than 2 gig and I want to try avoiding a bootloader. Ideally I would like to be able to boot my remaster with a floppy from where it resides on the disk and burn the DVD with kb3. can anyone help?