PDA

View Full Version : Fix an FAQ!

mabhatter
03-01-2003, 11:21 AM
The FAQ Samba Quick needs updating I think. Maybe my setup is different [I'm running of the CD] but the line

mount -t smbfs -u username=foo,password=bar //windowsbox/sharename /mnt/myshare

should have the -u changed to -o

mount -t smbfs -o username=foo,password=bar //windowsbox/sharename /mnt/myshare

definition of pain--spending 3+ hours trying to figure it out!

I found a cool page from IBM about setting up Samba. I's got some neat (and simple) steps to change & test one thing at a time to get going! It's for Linux-to-AS/400 [iSeries] connection, but it's pretty good.

to the google cache (pdf-html)
http://216.239.39.100/search?q=cache:ddEwbtVXUv8C:www.ibm.com/servers/eserver/iseries/netserver/common/v5r1smb/pdf/linux_client_s02.pdf+ibm+as400+file+shares+linux+c lient&hl=en&ie=UTF-8
search: ibm as400 file shares linux client

p.s. how do you get rid of the overtyping in the root shell--it's really hard to see what you're doing.

mmaki
03-01-2003, 05:24 PM
Good point. I made the change. Next time you need to mount a samba share and can't remember the syntax, enter the command "smbmount" with out any arguments and you will get the help screen with the last line of
mount -t smbfs -o username=tridge,password=foobar //fjall/test /data/test
to use as a reference for your mount command.

mabhatter
03-02-2003, 08:13 AM
Thanks, that was quick. Wow!

frenky
04-25-2003, 06:21 AM
Hi,

I tried to mount -t smbfs, but received error tdb(null): tdb_open_ex: could not open file /var/run/samba/unexpected.tdb: No such file or directory.

Anyone can advise what happened?

Thank you

Cheers,
Tjioe

mmaki
04-25-2003, 03:57 PM
I get the same message (3 times), but I still get a password prompt and a successfull log on. Do you get a password prompt? I do not include the "password=" option when I mount smb shares.

cascadefx
05-15-2003, 07:12 PM
Hi,

I tried to mount -t smbfs, but received error tdb(null): tdb_open_ex: could not open file /var/run/samba/unexpected.tdb: No such file or directory.

Anyone can advise what happened?

Thank you

Cheers,
Tjioe

I found this work around online. I don't know if it will work in your situation. Try typing:

sudo touch /var/run/samba/unexpected.tdb

Let us know if this fixes the problem. If it does, it appears that the samba implementation is missing the unexpected.tdb file and by creating it (with touch) you are diverting the error messages. This probably isn't a full blown fix as unexpected.tdb probably does something important... but it appears that it works around the problem.