PDA

View Full Version : nvidia drivers

evilgeek
12-13-2002, 06:53 AM
I've got knoppix on my hard disk. It's great, it does everything I've come to love from debian but without the installation hassles. The only problem i'm having now is I'm deciding I want to place some games and I can't because the stock nv driver sucks. Now knoppix uses some wacky xfs kernel which makes the debian nvidia packages not work for me. (If they work for you post what you did!) Failiing that, though, I'm thinking I'll just get the kernel.org source for 2.4.19 or maybe 2.4.20 now and compile that. Will doing that break the wonderful hardware detection scripts? What else will break if I change the kernel? TIA!

dw_donald
12-13-2002, 10:56 AM
Failiing that, though, I'm thinking I'll just get the kernel.org source for 2.4.19 or maybe 2.4.20 now and compile that. Will doing that break the wonderful hardware detection scripts? What else will break if I change the kernel? TIA!

Better yet! Get the sources from nVidia for the drivers and compile them. Works great with Mandrake and you don't have to worry about lossing cloop and other goodies.

thewalkingman
12-17-2002, 08:58 PM
I tried compiling lastest driver from Nvidia and the error message stated that the drivers were not compiled with knoppix's compiler? Something like that.
Has anyone successfully compiled the nvidia drivers on hdinstall knoppix?

slow
12-18-2002, 07:26 AM
http://wuarchive.wustl.edu/mirrors/debian/pool/contrib/n/nvidia-glx-src/nvidia-glx-src_1.0.4191-1_i386.deb
http://wuarchive.wustl.edu/mirrors/debian/pool/contrib/n/nvidia-kernel-src/nvidia-kernel-src_1.0.4191-2_i386.deb
hope this helps

thewalkingman
12-18-2002, 08:14 AM
:roll:

I am scared to install theses deb's without documation

hopman
01-07-2003, 04:09 PM
I've got problems with the nvidia drivers also.
I installed the src packages from debian AND kernel-build.
Then I set 3 enviroment variables:

export KSRC=/usr/src/kernel-headers-2.4.20-686
export KVERS=2.4.20-xfs
export CC="gcc-2.95"

The first two are from the readme file, the latter is to let "make" use the same gcc version as was used to compile the kernel (2.95).
I get two .deb packages and I can install them both.
But.... I cannot load the nvidia.o module, first it complains about not being the same version as the kernel (2.4.20 versus 2.4.20-xfs) then when I use "-f" to force load it, I get a lot of "missing" errors.

tuxtom
01-22-2003, 11:16 AM
I installed the nvidia drivers successfully from debian source.
Took the kernel headers from the installation

ln -s /usr/src/linux-2.4.20-xfs /usr/source/kernel-headers-2.4.20-xfs
export KSRC=/usr/src/kernel-headers-2.4.20-xfs
export KVERS=2.4.20-xfs

Then I continued according to /usr/share/doc/nvidia*/README.deb.
Well, I didn't get the newest nvidia drivers, but everything works ok.
(Can play tuxracer & billard-gl)

tom