PDA

View Full Version : i need help wiht ym knoppisx install it wont work right

lordnikon
04-26-2004, 11:24 PM
I need some help lol see linux wont work with my modem and i go tthe driver for it so it would and i was in windows at the time so i burned it to a cd and then tried to mount that cd in knoppix but it wouldnt let me i keep getting an error saying "protocl not supported file" and then when i try to load kde i get this error saying some type opf server isnt running and it cant load kde beacause of this.Thus I came to you guys thinking yal might know what i should do other than going and buying a new modem.
:D

lordnikon
04-26-2004, 11:27 PM
oops srry i misspeled knoppix lol i have an old keyboard lol and the keys are all sticky and stuff like that lol.

mzilikazi
04-27-2004, 12:42 AM
I need some help lol see linux wont work with my modem and i go tthe driver for it so it would and i was in windows at the time so i burned it to a cd and then tried to mount that cd in knoppix but it wouldnt let me i keep getting an error saying "protocl not supported file" and then

You aren't very forthcoming with information here. At least tell us what kind of modem/chipset you have and what drivers you got from where.

when i try to load kde i get this error saying some type opf server isnt running and it cant load kde beacause of this.Thus I came to you guys thinking yal might know what i should do other than going and buying a new modem.
:D

Bad BAD KDE! Stupid DCOP server no doubt. I have no idea how to fix that but it doesn't mean that Linux is hosed - just KDE. Google for DCOP server error or try searching here. If you realy want accurate answers tho it is important to post the error messages as you see them (if you can).

dmesg

I think Knoppix has Fluxbox or ICEWM on it. You could try using one of those (if KDM is working) or if you're launching X from cli just do:

startx /usr/bin/fluxbox

At least you'll have a GUI to work in.