PDA

View Full Version : Succesfully installed. Now...

Raoul
04-27-2004, 08:10 AM
Hello
After a few tries I managed to install Knoppix on a clean hard drive (ie no windows partition). The first problem I came accross was that I couldn't unrar files. Ark said something wrong about the "PATH". So I went for rarsoft.com and got the files... Any way I can tell Ark to use them ? Or do I have to go for the grim command line ?
Also I failed to install every program I downloaded. Are there special operations to do like registering the prog in the system for instance ?
And finally several programs included in Knoppix won't work. With Freeciv, among others, I have the "loading" pointer for a few sec and that's all. Any idea :?
Thanks a lot

mzilikazi
04-28-2004, 11:43 PM
Hello
After a few tries I managed to install Knoppix on a clean hard drive (ie no windows partition). The first problem I came accross was that I couldn't unrar files. Ark said something wrong about the "PATH". So I went for rarsoft.com and got the files... Any way I can tell Ark to use them ? Or do I have to go for the grim command line ?

Sorry, never used ARK before but there is a really cool utility called z that is a frontend for gzip, tar, bzip and others. Just do
z somefile.tar.gz and voila! You can get z like so:

cd
wget http://freshmeat.net/redir/z/12310/url_tgz/z-2.4.0.tar.gz
tar xzvf z-2.4.0.tar.gz
cd z-2.4.0
su
make install

Now you can just use z for all of those archived files.

z file.tar.gz

cd file

./configure && make && make install

(note that is only how you USUALLY do it- read the README or INSTALL doc that comes with any source you download.

Also I failed to install every program I downloaded. Are there special operations to do like registering the prog in the system for instance ?

What programs? It is entirely dependent on what they are as to how they are installed. You are however using Debian and Debian makes life easy. Just use apt-get. You have Kpackage or better yet Synaptic if you like a gui to install apps with. Here is an apt-get mini tutorial:

http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2638

And finally several programs included in Knoppix won't work. With Freeciv, among others, I have the "loading" pointer for a few sec and that's all. Any idea :?
Thanks a lot

Well those are probably just dead links from the menu. Debian has update-menus but dunno if that works for KDE menu or not sorry.

fingers99
04-29-2004, 03:39 AM
You're going off in a truly wierd direction.

99% of the time you can use apt-get to install packages. It's really simple:

connect to the Internet

as root do:

apt-get update

then (I suggest you do)

apt-get install synaptic

(which is a GUI front end to apt-get)

Trying to install from source is generally a waste of time and doesn't allow you to use apt-get to upgate packages.

There's an apt-get howto at the top of this page.

If you really want to unrar a package (.rar is an archiving method used in DOS and Windows) then you need to install unrar. You may (depending on your sources.list) be able to do a simple

apt-get install unrar

(I couldn't) or else do a google for

unrar debian

which should find you an archive with Debian packages (.deb). One of these will work out of the crate with 3.3. (The latest one requires that you update a fair bit of stuff and it probably isn't worth the effort).

You can install it with kpackage simply by left clicking on the icon.

You can then extract any .rar archive by right clicking on the icon, and selecting Open with ...... Ark.

And you can do the same for .zip, .tar and tar.gz packages too.