PDA

View Full Version : hdd-installed knoppix 3.3 - Bios fails on reboot

renderedbrian
04-28-2004, 07:49 AM
Last night I did a hdd install of knoppix 3.3 (16-2-04) build.

It installed without a hitch.

I had to do some work in windows XP for a bit, so I logged out of knoppix and rebooted.

Then my machine bios hung at detecting hard drive.

I had to clear cmos & leave the machine with the powerlead removed for 30 minutes before I could reboot!

Don't want to have to do this everytime I finish using knoppix!

When I originally booted the knoppix CD i passed the argument DMA - could this cause such a serious problem?

--
Brian

fingers99
04-29-2004, 03:42 AM
Do you have a pile of junk built by Dell? Search for Dell here and you'll find that it's (almost) unique to them.

renderedbrian
04-29-2004, 05:11 PM
Do you have a pile of junk built by Dell? Search for Dell here and you'll find that it's (almost) unique to them.

Uh, no, I have a home built system

Duron 1.2Ghz on VIA Apollo kt266 based motherboard

512mb ram,

2 x 80gig Seagate Baracudda drives

Generic CDRW, & generic DVD drive.

--
Brian

fingers99
04-30-2004, 03:46 AM
I don't think anyone has sucessfully identified what it is that makes the Dell boxen behave pretty much as yours is.

But a (sort of) solution is to turn the box off and hit the on button a few times with the power disconnected.

I wonder if this has been addressed by a bios update? Might be worthwhile informing the mobo manufacturers: it really shouldn't be doing this......

renderedbrian
04-30-2004, 07:36 AM
I don't think anyone has sucessfully identified what it is that makes the Dell boxen behave pretty much as yours is.

But a (sort of) solution is to turn the box off and hit the on button a few times with the power disconnected.

I wonder if this has been addressed by a bios update? Might be worthwhile informing the mobo manufacturers: it really shouldn't be doing this......

I have the most recent bios. Its a Matsonic MS8137C mainboard

--
Brian

Static_C
05-03-2004, 09:00 AM
Have you found a solution yet? I have a similar problem. When rebooting, my bios will hang. The only way to stop it from happening is to completely deleate my Linux partitions. Even reformatting them does nothing. This is really pissing me off. Who did M$ payoff for this one?

BTW: I have an HP.

fingers99
05-03-2004, 04:19 PM
BTW: I have an HP

It'd certainly be worthwhile contacting HP who have a pretty good history of Linux suport. This really shouldn't happen. Have you tried the trick which works with the Dells?

Static_C
05-03-2004, 10:59 PM
Thanks for responding. :)

The power button trick? No I haven't. Next time it starts up w/ me, I'll give it a shot. You unplug it, and quickly press the power button a few times? Is this like a "hard" reboot process?

HP is known to be good w/ Linux? That's good to know. I'll email them now. :) So, what is it about Dell that's non Linux-friendly?

I might be moving sometime this year, and will probably buy a new machine. How is Alienware w/ Linux?

Thanks again!

firebyrd10
05-03-2004, 11:14 PM
You I have that problem to. ONly all I have is a NTFS and recovery partition (HP pavillion 520n) it locks up on boot sometimes and I have to turn it off then back on quickly to get it to work. I tried it will an old 8 gig that I installed debian to and the same thing happens. I tried to flash the bios with a new update but the program can't find the chip.

Sigh.... A new computer would be good right about now. it seems everything hardware related that can, has gone wrong.