PDA

View Full Version : root password

kornface13
04-28-2004, 12:15 PM
I dont know what the root password is on Knoppix 3.3. I was just playing around trying to change login settings but I dont know the root password. Any help would be great.

roger_girardin
04-28-2004, 12:45 PM
if you type :
su root
then enter on a konsole terminal, you will be logged as root on that console

then any application you launch since the term will take the root privileges

i hope it helped

{Orceph}Rye
04-30-2004, 02:27 AM
That didn't seam to work for me or did i do it wrong. I am not sure, I am new to linux so please forgive me but were would i type 'su root'?

Cuddles
04-30-2004, 02:05 PM
{Orceph}Rye,

May I suggest, the vast previous postings, and answers, found within this fabulous forum :?:

Try typing "root password" or "root" & "password" in the box found at the top of this topic, or even at the forum index, the box labeled "Search Knoppix.net" ...

I KNOW of at least 15 postings/threads that have not only asked the exact same question you have, but have also given answers to the exact same question you have asked.

Upon searching these forums for your answer, you will not only find your answer, but you just may realize that your question has been answered hundereds of times, already. You may try the search first, then ask, if you can't locate your problem. I have found that many of the postings on these forums have REPEATED many times, because someone hasn't done a search beforehand. The ROOT PASSWORD, is by far, repeated more times in new postings than any other question on these boards.

I am not above being guilty of this either; if you search back far enough, you will even find MY posting of this exact same question. Since that time, I have not only replied many times to this same question, but have also responded just as many times with answers to this exact same question. If I had the exact web address of one of these posting threads, I would have loved to provide it on this reply, but, again, that is why the SEARCH KNOPPIX.NET search box is provided above, to search for previous topics, threads, postings, and even answers, of previous issues - the root password has been posted many times.

The wonderful SysAdmin for Knoppix.Net has done a fantastic job of keeping archives of previous posts, just for the ability of search on them, and the vast knowledge provided by many people previous on these boards is available by using this searching.

So, please try the search, it not only will provide you with your answer, but, knowing many of the people here in these forums, you will find your answer responded to in many ways of explanation; all the way from Guru Level, down to Novice Level.

Hope this helps,
Cuddles

Cuddles
04-30-2004, 02:14 PM
Ok, I did it, I was curious on just how many search results I would find...

Here is the web search results on using "root" & "password" in the "Search Knoppix.net" search box above:

http://www.google.com/search?q=%5C%22root%5C%22+%26+%5C%22password%5C%22 %20site:knoppix.net

Upon clicking on the above search resuls link, you will find more than SEVEN HUNDERED topics on the exact same question you are asking: "what is the root password" - and of those more than 700 results, you will most certainly find your answer.

Search is a wonderful thing :D

Cuddles