PDA

View Full Version : AfterStep and Knoppix

radman
04-28-2004, 02:21 PM
Hi All,

I am looking for anyone who is using AfterStep with Knoppix. I tried compiling and installing it. But it has troubles trying to find files like .xinitrc.

I am relatively new to linux "although I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night."

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

mzilikazi
04-28-2004, 11:08 PM
Well I haven't tried to compile it but why not just get it from Debian?

apt-get install afterstep

Want to fins out what else there is in Debian for Afterstep?

apt-cache search afterstep

radman
04-29-2004, 12:08 AM
I ran the commands you suggested and get

I had to first do an apt-get update first

I then ran it, it installed. now how do I get it started. Do I just reboot?

Thanks for your help.

mzilikazi
04-29-2004, 12:32 AM
I then ran it, it installed. now how do I get it started. Do I just reboot?

Thanks for your help.

heheh you ARE a windows user aren't you? =) No reboting necessary. In fact I almost never reboot unless it's to re-read a partition table or boot a new kernel. Anyway......

I'm not overly familiar with KDM but when you log in it *should* let you choose afterstep as your window manager. If not then you either need to get it into the wm selection menu of KDM or startx from cli

which afterstep

that will tell you where the exectutable is- then something like......

startx /usr/bin/afterstep

radman
04-29-2004, 12:49 AM
Hehe, yes I am. Working on being more though.

Thanks for the help. I have it running. It is going to take alot of playing around to get use to in in Linux. I used it years ago as an Explorer replacement in windows an liked it.

I have a couple of books on the way, so hopefully it will all start to get more familiar.

Thanks again.

Durand Hicks
04-29-2004, 05:54 AM
I don't know if afterstep was a replacement for explorer, but perhaps you were referring to Litestep? Litestep was the ultimate explorer replacement I know, and it was extremely powerful and configurable thru text files like in linux. Once I used that I wouldn't go back to explorer.

radman
04-29-2004, 09:03 PM
yeah that was it LiteStep, can that be used with windows 2000?

Durand Hicks
04-30-2004, 05:23 AM
Of course, I used it with NT4, w2k, and wxppro, all with no problems. W2k does have some quirks when using litestep, but by and large, it works fine, provided you're willing to do some editing of your rc files.