PDA

View Full Version : Knoppix on Xbox

htimstyler
04-29-2004, 05:39 AM
Anyone know anything about installing knoppix on a modded xbox?
Is it possible?

aay
04-29-2004, 05:48 AM
I know virtually nothing about this topic, but I have read that you can get the Dynebolic CD to run off of a modded Xbox.

http://www.dynebolic.org/

garyng
04-29-2004, 07:59 AM
modded or not, linux runs happily on Xbox. The right place is xbox-linux.sf.net

Dynabolic, Xebian, GentooX are the distributions that catered for Xbox. Of course for the die hard debian like me, I do it with 'debootstrap'.

aay
04-29-2004, 03:03 PM
modded or not, linux runs happily on Xbox. The right place is xbox-linux.sf.net

Dynabolic, Xebian, GentooX are the distributions that catered for Xbox. Of course for the die hard debian like me, I do it with 'debootstrap'.

Very cool. I didn't know you could do this w/o modding your xbox. It's also pretty cool that you can install Freevo from Xebian. If it's not too hard to add extra hard drive space to your Xbox, then this might be a cool project...expecially if I can find a cheap Xbox. I hear they will be removing their hard drive in the Xbox release.

garyng
04-29-2004, 05:32 PM
I use Freevo on Xbox to watch DVD(don't have the remote) and adding HD is not too difficult. There are people change it to 120GB ones but one needs a PC to prepare the HD. I opt for using samba client and use the disk space on my other PC(running XP and colinux).

Xbox is pretty cheap now, can be as low as 100US on ebay. It is a pretty capable machine for this kind of thing. Just a TV out card can cost you that kind of money.