PDA

View Full Version : Problems with Knoppix v3.3 HD Installation

Redux
04-29-2004, 08:36 PM
Hey there guys, i'm just wondering if you could help me install Knoppix version 3.3 onto my hard drive, I have made 2 new partitions and only one of them show up on Knoppix when I boot from CD, the other is just a LinuxSWAP partition. Anyways i've got to this part: Creating a Linux Swap partition (at least 256MB) the next thing I need to do is mount the linux partition as root, yet I don't know how to do that... if you could help I would be very greatfull.

Also I have a few instructions to follow but seems that I am a to i don't actually know how i could go about doing these.

Here are the instructions >_<

'Mounting' the Linux partition as root
Initialising the swap partition
Copying all the required files (automatically)
Setting up networking
Setting passwords
Setting up the bootloader (Note: take care with this stage - it could render your system incapable of booting into Windows. If you really need Windows, then it might be a good idea to set up GRUB Bootloader with a 'chainloader' entry, so that you can dual boot. Working this out is an exercise left to the reader - there are too many possible scenarios for me to cover in this short guide. Also see man grub and the files in /usr/share/doc/grub)

I also done what it said in the readme file which was:

cp -a /KNOPPIX/* /mnt/knoppix yet when i get to the next step which is setting up fstab according to the disk it doesn't have it on >_< any ideas? also when i reboot my system it doesn't come up with the os choice menu.... I would also like to ask if anybody knows how to setup AOL on knoppix cos i'm thinking about moving to linux because i think windblows xp is getting pretty s*** now... and i'm getting bored of it and all the viruses that it gets. I hope you could all help me :oops:
Thanks
-- Paul

mzilikazi
04-30-2004, 12:41 AM
Not sure what install method you're using but it doesn't sound like you're using the installer.

sudo knoppix-installer

If it gives you problems post back eh?

Redux
04-30-2004, 08:03 AM
mzilikazi,

I have it installed now, once I figured out how to do it. What I done was went to Root Console, typed in knx-install which ran the knx-install script .. then once I wrote the tables to the partition i closed knx-install and it came up saying "Do you want to use Linux Swap Partition" so I said yeah... then gave me a list of other options to install... so then I went to sleep whilst it installed then when i woke up it had finished the install and gave me options to set a pwd for root, I then rebooted my system lilo came up booted up knoppix and it now works like a dream, yet i'm having problems connecting to the internet as my modem drivers can't be found... also my sound doesn't work..

Modem: Conexant SoftK56 PCI Modem
Sound: Avance AC'97 Audio

I wonder if you could try and help me find the drivers for those... if so i'll be really greatfull...

Thanks
-- Paul :)