PDA

View Full Version : knoppix--> someone pls gimme min. sys. requirements

tuxcrazy
04-29-2004, 09:58 PM
i have a P3 933MHz...and 112M RAM...i read somewhere that u need around 380Megs for knoppix to run smoothely...wat do u think

another thing before i download knoppix....im a mandrake user, ne specific reasons i should try this out...?

eco2geek
04-29-2004, 10:34 PM
Look at the General FAQ (http://www.knoppix.net/docs/index.php/FaqGeneral) for the hardware requirements. The short answer is, yes, Knoppix will run on your equipment, although KDE may be sluggish in only 112M of RAM. However, it should find and use your existing swap file.

As far as a reason to try Knoppix, if all you're going to do is run it off the live CD, then it's just something cool to play with. If you're looking for a compelling reason to actually install Knoppix, the reason is that the Debian package management system is vastly superior to RPM.

For example: back when I had Red Hat 7.2, I wanted a newer version of Pan, the newsreader, because the one that came with Red Hat 7.2 couldn't decode yEnc. I tried using rpms but there were too many dependency errors. I tried compiling from source, and it flat didn't run. I tried upgrading the GTK libraries to fix the problem and ended up killing off the display of fonts in Gnome apps. I ended up just upgrading the entire system to Red Hat 8.0 to get a newer version of that one app.

Knoppix doesn't come with Pan, but all I had to do to get it was type apt-get install pan. It doesn't get much easier than that.

tuxcrazy
04-29-2004, 10:40 PM
thanks...knoppix looks great...ill go for it

OErjan
04-30-2004, 06:12 PM
to prove i am mad.
i use knoppix on my p100 laptop with 74Mb ram. works ok but kde is never an option. icewm was my choice. runs ok. not supersonic but berable.