PDA

View Full Version : X server problems

smartin
04-30-2004, 03:19 PM
Hi,
I got myself motherboard with embeded AGP on (motherboard M810DLU). I've tried to run knoppix but just as it loads desktop it tries different X servers and than loads proper desktop. But just after that it goes to text mode telling that it couldn't find proper X server although for a second or 2 the desktop looked alright including browser welcome window :(
I did run Feather with Xfbdev server and apart form weird refresh and resolution it works fine:)
What to do ??

thanks in advance

Stephen
04-30-2004, 09:38 PM
Hi,
I got myself motherboard with embeded AGP on (motherboard M810DLU). I've tried to run knoppix but just as it loads desktop it tries different X servers and than loads proper desktop. But just after that it goes to text mode telling that it couldn't find proper X server although for a second or 2 the desktop looked alright including browser welcome window :(
I did run Feather with Xfbdev server and apart form weird refresh and resolution it works fine:)
What to do ??

thanks in advance

When at the opening knoppix screen type in knoppix xmodule=fbdev and then the enter key to tell knoppix to use the frame buffer device when it boots some other cheat codes (http://www.knoppix.net/docs/index.php/CheatCodes) you may want to look at.

smartin
05-05-2004, 09:13 AM
Hi there,
I got myself knoppix 3.4 and runs smoothly :)
However the display is set to maximum 1280x1024 :(
when i try to change it everything is ok except that the screen does not appear whole. no tool bar and when i try to open any window some of them goes probably to the part that is 'outsiede the screen' :(
Sort of... for the smaller set resolution it shows only upper left part of the screen :(

thanks in advance

marcin

rickenbacherus
05-05-2004, 06:40 PM
You can pass screen resolution on boot too.

knoppix xmodule=fbdev screen=1024x768