PDA

View Full Version : wmfthumbnail issues (cont) apt-get install blow-ups

Cuddles
05-01-2004, 04:26 PM
Considering the "piggy-back" thread this was started in, and the length of that thread at this time, decided to move the thread out to its own topic...

I started this all out trying to get a "thumbnail" viewer for those pesky WMF image formats (that plague Windows) that are given so freely with clip art packages that run specific on Windows systems.

I downloaded the tarball of source, unpacked it, and upon following the instructions, came up with an error that is part of the make routine. With some help from Eco2Geek and Stephen, I accomplished apt-get'ing the libwmf-dev package, and upon trying again the make, it died, now yelling about libxft-dev missing.

Trying the fix by Eco2Geek, I modified the .cpp and .h files to "point" directly to locations of header (.h) files, and it still died with same error.

Trying the fix by Stephen, I assumed I just needed to apt-get the libxft-dev package, and then apt-get hell broke out... output from the apt-get install follows:

root@Polaris:~# apt-get -u install libxft-dev
Reading Package Lists... Done
Building Dependency Tree... Done
The following extra packages will be installed:
libx11-6 libx11-dev libxft2 x-dev
The following packages will be REMOVED:
libxft2-dev
The following NEW packages will be installed:
libx11-6 libx11-dev libxft-dev x-dev
The following packages will be upgraded:
libxft2
1 upgraded, 4 newly installed, 1 to remove and 513 not upgraded.
Need to get 2282kB of archives.
After unpacking 6406kB of additional disk space will be used.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n] y
Get:1 http://ftp.egr.msu.edu testing/main libx11-6 4.3.0-7 [672kB]
Get:2 http://ftp.egr.msu.edu testing/main x-dev 4.3.0-7 [177kB]
Get:3 http://ftp.egr.msu.edu testing/main libx11-dev 4.3.0-7 [1323kB]
Get:4 http://ftp.egr.msu.edu testing/main libxft2 2.1.2-6 [50.1kB]
Get:5 http://ftp.egr.msu.edu testing/main libxft-dev 2.1.2-6 [60.2kB]
Fetched 2282kB in 7m34s (5024B/s)
dpkg: libxft2-dev: dependency problems, but removing anyway as you request:
libqt3-mt-dev depends on libxft-dev; however:
Package libxft-dev is not installed.
Package libxft2-dev which provides libxft-dev is to be removed.
(Reading database ... 103482 files and directories currently installed.)
Removing libxft2-dev ...
Removing `diversion of /usr/X11R6/include/X11/Xft/Xft.h to /usr/X11R6/include/X11/Xft/Xft1.h by libxft2-dev'
Removing `diversion of /usr/X11R6/lib/libXft.a to /usr/X11R6/lib/libXft1.a by libxft2-dev'
Removing `diversion of /usr/X11R6/lib/libXft.so to /usr/X11R6/lib/libXft1.so by libxft2-dev'
Selecting previously deselected package libx11-6.
(Reading database ... 103468 files and directories currently installed.)
Unpacking libx11-6 (from .../libx11-6_4.3.0-7_i386.deb) ...
dpkg: error processing /var/cache/apt/archives/libx11-6_4.3.0-7_i386.deb (--unpack):
trying to overwrite `/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/locale/lib/common/ximcp.so.2', which is also in package xlibs
dpkg-deb: subprocess paste killed by signal (Broken pipe)
Selecting previously deselected package x-dev.
Unpacking x-dev (from .../archives/x-dev_4.3.0-7_all.deb) ...
dpkg: error processing /var/cache/apt/archives/x-dev_4.3.0-7_all.deb (--unpack):
trying to overwrite `/usr/X11R6/include/X11/DECkeysym.h', which is also in package xlibs-dev
Selecting previously deselected package libx11-dev.
Unpacking libx11-dev (from .../libx11-dev_4.3.0-7_i386.deb) ...
dpkg: error processing /var/cache/apt/archives/libx11-dev_4.3.0-7_i386.deb (--unpack):
trying to overwrite `/usr/X11R6/include/X11/XKBlib.h', which is also in package xlibs-dev
Preparing to replace libxft2 2.1.1-2 (using .../libxft2_2.1.2-6_i386.deb) ...
Unpacking replacement libxft2 ...
Selecting previously deselected package libxft-dev.
Unpacking libxft-dev (from .../libxft-dev_2.1.2-6_i386.deb) ...
Errors were encountered while processing:
/var/cache/apt/archives/libx11-6_4.3.0-7_i386.deb
/var/cache/apt/archives/x-dev_4.3.0-7_all.deb
/var/cache/apt/archives/libx11-dev_4.3.0-7_i386.deb
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)
root@Polaris:~#

Now it appears I have removed something that should "never" have been removed, caused numerous "broken pipes", and still don't have what I "initially" wanted since this all started, no thumbnail viewer for WMF images in Konq.

I should never have assumed to "just install" this dev package, I am sure, and am now thinking that it may not be recoverable, and that a complete "gut" of the system is where I am at now, and that a complete reinstall is necessary. (all because I wanted to have a thumbnail viewer in a "support" program !)

I am constantly living with the "what will I do next to cause me to reinstall" thing, most of all the times, it has a lot to do with "apt-get" - its either the "upgrade" or something, I figure, is just an "easy" install -=- and then all hell brakes loose.

Sometimes I just sit back, and enjoy Knoppix just "running", and then I get these "dim-witted" ideas of adding something else to the OS, usually something that I "really" think will help my productivity, or ability to do more with Knoppix -=- only to find, I've trashed my install, and the only way out is to gut the system, reformat the hard drive, and reinstall Knoppix (again, and again, and again...) from the ground floor again - throwing away everything I've done up to that point, (configs, user files, global files, packages, web links, email, contacts, etc...) , and starting all over again.

I've actually gotten good at reinstalling Knoppix, if you want to call that a GOOD thing, I've trashed Windows many times, but never to the point of having to "gut and reinstall" - possibly why Linux is not among the highest rated OS's among newbies ?

Well, here I am again, at the presabyss of Hell - can someone tell me how to get back, or must I jump again? Reminds me, only about a month or so ago, when I was at this same location with ALSA, same OS, same problems with apt-get, same concern for someone to just suggest "reinstall" again. Before that, it was a "apt-get upgrade" - I have had a long line of failures with apt-get.

Someone please, save me from MYSELF :!:
Cuddles

nishtya
05-01-2004, 08:03 PM
Cuddles, my linux tribulations sister :lol: , see my post over in the lounge on fear of flying.

Not sure why my first reply here didn't go through. If two eventually show up, pardon me

Cuddles
05-01-2004, 09:02 PM
Well, Well, nishtya, long time no see :D compiled any new kernels lately :?: ( I know, I know, that was a "below the belt" shot, sorry )

Anyway, your "heavy hitter" was getting lmsensors running, mine is a constant battle with keeping what I have running... Currently, its this durn thumbnail viewer for Konq, sheesh, something SO simple ends up to be such a pain in the rump - why? Did "I" ask for this?????

I just live between one screw-up to the next, and "hope" to survive it... I guess its the "price" I have to pay for having such a "stable" Operating System?

I can't imagine going back to M$, and its plagued OS's, but with all the "ongoing" hell I end up going through, everytime I think, yeah, I'll just add this neat "feature", I get my whole OS screwed up... It takes its toll on a newbie girl - even when I think I can do this, I know how to do this, you just "apt-get" it, it ends up blowing up in my face... and I spend another weekend, and possibly the following week, sitting in here, hoping to get an answer to fix my problems, again.

So, I'm going to be "resident" here for awhile, until I get this resolved, now... Amazing how much time I have spent, waiting for an answer, when I do something "completely" nit-witty like adding a simple viewer to Konq. -=- sheesh.

Websters Dictionary Defination of a newbie with a clue, but with not enough information, should have my lil ol name after it...

Oh well, the waiting game...
Cuddles

Stephen
05-01-2004, 09:34 PM
root@Polaris:~# apt-get -u install libxft-dev
libx11-6 libx11-dev libxft2 x-dev
libxft2-dev
libx11-6 libx11-dev libxft-dev x-dev
libxft2
1 upgraded, 4 newly installed, 1 to remove and 513 not upgraded.
Need to get 2282kB of archives.
After unpacking 6406kB of additional disk space will be used.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n] y
Get:1 http://ftp.egr.msu.edu testing/main libx11-6 4.3.0-7 [672kB]
Get:2 http://ftp.egr.msu.edu testing/main x-dev 4.3.0-7 [177kB]
Get:3 http://ftp.egr.msu.edu testing/main libx11-dev 4.3.0-7 [1323kB]
Get:4 http://ftp.egr.msu.edu testing/main libxft2 2.1.2-6 [50.1kB]
Get:5 http://ftp.egr.msu.edu testing/main libxft-dev 2.1.2-6 [60.2kB]
Fetched 2282kB in 7m34s (5024B/s)
dpkg: libxft2-dev: dependency problems, but removing anyway as you request:
libqt3-mt-dev depends on libxft-dev; however:
Package libxft-dev is not installed.
Package libxft2-dev which provides libxft-dev is to be removed.
(Reading database ... 103482 files and directories currently installed.)
Removing libxft2-dev ...
Removing `diversion of /usr/X11R6/include/X11/Xft/Xft.h to /usr/X11R6/include/X11/Xft/Xft1.h by libxft2-dev'
Removing `diversion of /usr/X11R6/lib/libXft.a to /usr/X11R6/lib/libXft1.a by libxft2-dev'
Removing `diversion of /usr/X11R6/lib/libXft.so to /usr/X11R6/lib/libXft1.so by libxft2-dev'
Selecting previously deselected package libx11-6.
(Reading database ... 103468 files and directories currently installed.)
Unpacking libx11-6 (from .../libx11-6_4.3.0-7_i386.deb) ...
dpkg: error processing /var/cache/apt/archives/libx11-6_4.3.0-7_i386.deb (--unpack):
trying to overwrite `/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/locale/lib/common/ximcp.so.2', which is also in package xlibs
Selecting previously deselected package x-dev.
Unpacking x-dev (from .../archives/x-dev_4.3.0-7_all.deb) ...
dpkg: error processing /var/cache/apt/archives/x-dev_4.3.0-7_all.deb (--unpack):
trying to overwrite `/usr/X11R6/include/X11/DECkeysym.h', which is also in package xlibs-dev
Selecting previously deselected package libx11-dev.
Unpacking libx11-dev (from .../libx11-dev_4.3.0-7_i386.deb) ...
dpkg: error processing /var/cache/apt/archives/libx11-dev_4.3.0-7_i386.deb (--unpack):
trying to overwrite `/usr/X11R6/include/X11/XKBlib.h', which is also in package xlibs-dev
Preparing to replace libxft2 2.1.1-2 (using .../libxft2_2.1.2-6_i386.deb) ...
Unpacking replacement libxft2 ...
Selecting previously deselected package libxft-dev.
Unpacking libxft-dev (from .../libxft-dev_2.1.2-6_i386.deb) ...
Errors were encountered while processing:
/var/cache/apt/archives/libx11-6_4.3.0-7_i386.deb
/var/cache/apt/archives/x-dev_4.3.0-7_all.deb
/var/cache/apt/archives/libx11-dev_4.3.0-7_i386.deb
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)

Now it appears I have removed something that should "never" have been removed, caused numerous "broken pipes", and still don't have what I "initially" wanted since this all started, no thumbnail viewer for WMF images in Konq.

You never removed anything the broken pipe is apt complaing about the error when the X packages cannot overwrite the conflicting file(s) use dpkg -i --force-overwrite /var/cache/apt/archives/libx11-6_4.3.0-7_i386.deb /var/cache/apt/archives/x-dev_4.3.0-7_all.deb /var/cache/apt/archives/libx11-dev_4.3.0-7_i386.deb then dpkg --configure -a to get any packages that remain unconfigured after the error.

I should never have assumed to "just install" this dev package, I am sure, and am now thinking that it may not be recoverable, and that a complete "gut" of the system is where I am at now, and that a complete reinstall is necessary. (all because I wanted to have a thumbnail viewer in a "support" program !)

Yeah things can get a little complicated sometimes doing what should be a simple procedure. Especially when the developers allow X to remain in that state for months it actually installed once without all those errors I think that was the -4 version and then it went to hell in a hand basket again.

I am constantly living with the "what will I do next to cause me to reinstall" thing, most of all the times, it has a lot to do with "apt-get" - its either the "upgrade" or something, I figure, is just an "easy" install -=- and then all hell brakes loose.

Sometimes I just sit back, and enjoy Knoppix just "running", and then I get these "dim-witted" ideas of adding something else to the OS, usually something that I "really" think will help my productivity, or ability to do more with Knoppix -=- only to find, I've trashed my install, and the only way out is to gut the system, reformat the hard drive, and reinstall Knoppix (again, and again, and again...) from the ground floor again - throwing away everything I've done up to that point, (configs, user files, global files, packages, web links, email, contacts, etc...) , and starting all over again.

An idea to save you all this. Make a new partition or throw a spare small HD in the machine where you put say a 5gb partition for a backup / then you clone your current install to the new partition/hd. Now when anything major needs to be done you boot to the clone do what you are trying and you can basically destroy the entire partition if you want and you always have your original "good" install just sitting there untouched. The procedure I use is relatively simple:

1. Boot a Knoppix CD with knoppix 2
2. mount /dev/hd?? /mnt/hd?? - root location
3. mount /dev/hd!! /mnt/hd!! - backup root location
4. cp -Rp /mnt/hd??/ /mnt/hd!!/ - copy entire contents retaining all permissions.
5. Repeat steps 2 thru 4 if copying the /home partition to a backup partition as well.
6. Edit the /etc/lilo.conf and /etc/fstab on the backup parition for the changes necessary for the new layout.
7a. chroot /mnt/hd!!/ /sbin/lilo -v - write lilo to the MBR of spare drive if used for the backup.
7b. chroot /mnt/hd!!/ /sbin/lilo -v -b /dev/hd!! - write lilo to the backup / partition.
8. Edit the "good" /etc/lilo.conf to create a chainload entry to the backup lilo which is either in the MBR of a spare drive or a extra partition. This is only required once if you keep the backup parition/drive at the same location for any further backups.

other=/dev/hd?
label=Testing

OR

other=/dev/hd?4
label=Testing

9. chroot /mnt/hd??/ /sbin/lilo -v - write your "good" lilo with the changes to enable you to boot the backup.

10. shutdown -r now - Reboot and test to see if the new backup partition actually works. You will end up going through 2 lilo screens with this method if you have both lilo's configured to show you the screen that is.

nishtya
05-01-2004, 09:37 PM
Well, Well, nishtya, long time no see compiled any new kernels lately ( I know, I know, that was a "below the belt" shot, sorry )
:cry:

Cuddles, I sense a certain amount of frustration here :shock: I can't help with any technical knowhow on how to fix what's happening with your system, to my newbie self if I saw all that pumping out I would have ran for the CD and reinstalled as fast I could to make it go away. But I think someone should be along that can help by tonight. Seems Saturdays are always slow on internet forums and if you just have to do something, maybe you can work on backing up what you can in case you are truly hosed. I know the experts don't ever seem to give up but I guess it's part of being newbie that sometimes we have to just start over and lick our wounds. I really am trying to be supportive :D

eco2geek
05-02-2004, 01:17 AM
Sorry I got you into this! :oops:

If you want to send me your email addy (mine is eco2geek-at-comcast-dot-net), I can just email you the binaries and you can put 'em where they need to go and see if it works.

Yeah, it's a kludge, but it beats tearing your hair out. :wink: (I'm beginning to think the only "safe" way to install things is to download the *.deb binaries from Debian's package list (http://www.debian.org/distrib/packages), paying close attention to the version numbers, and then using "dpkg -i packagename.deb".)

Now that you've tried Linux, you know you're hooked and you'll just reinstall it anyway. :) At least dual-boot.

Cuddles
05-02-2004, 02:47 AM
Your right Eco2Geek, I am definately "hooked", I probably would never go back, even after having to do a hundred reinstalls - I'll just get better at doing my backups :D (always a silver lining)

Stephen, I did the dpkg stuff - appears everything was "forced" in - I did the make and make install, and I appear to be getting farther into the script, but have yet to create the .la or .so files, either where they belong, or where Eco2Geek said they would appear...

Here is the latest output from "make" and "make install"

root@Polaris:/gblusr/Installs/KonqPlugIns/wmfthumbnail-0.2# make
make all-recursive
make[1]: Entering directory `/gblusr/Installs/KonqPlugIns/wmfthumbnail-0.2'
Making all in doc
make[2]: Entering directory `/gblusr/Installs/KonqPlugIns/wmfthumbnail-0.2/doc'
Making all in .
make[3]: Entering directory `/gblusr/Installs/KonqPlugIns/wmfthumbnail-0.2/doc'
make[3]: Nothing to be done for `all-am'.
make[3]: Leaving directory `/gblusr/Installs/KonqPlugIns/wmfthumbnail-0.2/doc'
Making all in en
make[3]: Entering directory `/gblusr/Installs/KonqPlugIns/wmfthumbnail-0.2/doc/en'
make[3]: Nothing to be done for `all'.
make[3]: Leaving directory `/gblusr/Installs/KonqPlugIns/wmfthumbnail-0.2/doc/en'
make[2]: Leaving directory `/gblusr/Installs/KonqPlugIns/wmfthumbnail-0.2/doc'
Making all in src
make[2]: Entering directory `/gblusr/Installs/KonqPlugIns/wmfthumbnail-0.2/src'
/bin/sh ../libtool --silent --mode=link --tag=CXX g++ -Wnon-virtual-dtor -Wno-long-long -Wundef -Wall -W -Wpointer-arith -Wwrite-strings -ansi -D_XOPEN_SOURCE=500 -D_BSD_SOURCE -Wcast-align -Wconversion -Wchar-subscripts -O2 -Wformat-security -Wmissing-format-attribute -fno-exceptions -fno-check-new -fno-common -I/usr/include/freetype2 -I/usr/include -L/usr/lib -lwmf -lwmflite -lfreetype -lz -L/usr/X11R6/lib -lSM -lICE -lX11 -lexpat -ljpeg -lpng -lz -lm -o wmfthumbnail.la -rpath /usr/local/kde/lib/kde3 -module -L/usr/X11R6/lib -L/usr/share/qt3/lib -L/usr/lib -avoid-version -module -no-undefined -Wl,--no-undefined -Wl,--allow-shlib-undefined -R /usr/lib -R /usr/share/qt3/lib -R /usr/X11R6/lib wmfthumbnail.lo wmfthumbcreator.lo -lkio
/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lXinerama_pic
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make[2]: *** [wmfthumbnail.la] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory `/gblusr/Installs/KonqPlugIns/wmfthumbnail-0.2/src'
make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/gblusr/Installs/KonqPlugIns/wmfthumbnail-0.2'
make: *** [all] Error 2
root@Polaris:/gblusr/Installs/KonqPlugIns/wmfthumbnail-0.2# make install
Making install in doc
make[1]: Entering directory `/gblusr/Installs/KonqPlugIns/wmfthumbnail-0.2/doc'
Making install in .
make[2]: Entering directory `/gblusr/Installs/KonqPlugIns/wmfthumbnail-0.2/doc'
make[3]: Entering directory `/gblusr/Installs/KonqPlugIns/wmfthumbnail-0.2/doc'
make[3]: Nothing to be done for `install-exec-am'.
make[3]: Nothing to be done for `install-data-am'.
make[3]: Leaving directory `/gblusr/Installs/KonqPlugIns/wmfthumbnail-0.2/doc'
make[2]: Leaving directory `/gblusr/Installs/KonqPlugIns/wmfthumbnail-0.2/doc'
Making install in en
make[2]: Entering directory `/gblusr/Installs/KonqPlugIns/wmfthumbnail-0.2/doc/en'
make[3]: Entering directory `/gblusr/Installs/KonqPlugIns/wmfthumbnail-0.2/doc/en'
make[3]: Nothing to be done for `install-exec-am'.
/bin/sh ../../admin/mkinstalldirs /usr/local/kde/share/doc/HTML/en/wmfthumbnail
/usr/bin/install -c -p -m 644 index.docbook /usr/local/kde/share/doc/HTML/en/wmfthumbnail/index.docbook
/bin/sh ../../admin/mkinstalldirs /usr/local/kde/share/doc/HTML/en/wmfthumbnail
/usr/bin/install -c -p -m 644 index.cache.bz2 /usr/local/kde/share/doc/HTML/en/wmfthumbnail/
rm -f /usr/local/kde/share/doc/HTML/en/wmfthumbnail/common
ln -s /usr/share/doc/kde/HTML/en/common /usr/local/kde/share/doc/HTML/en/wmfthumbnail/common
make[3]: Leaving directory `/gblusr/Installs/KonqPlugIns/wmfthumbnail-0.2/doc/en'
make[2]: Leaving directory `/gblusr/Installs/KonqPlugIns/wmfthumbnail-0.2/doc/en'
make[1]: Leaving directory `/gblusr/Installs/KonqPlugIns/wmfthumbnail-0.2/doc'
Making install in src
make[1]: Entering directory `/gblusr/Installs/KonqPlugIns/wmfthumbnail-0.2/src'
/bin/sh ../libtool --silent --mode=link --tag=CXX g++ -Wnon-virtual-dtor -Wno-long-long -Wundef -Wall -W -Wpointer-arith -Wwrite-strings -ansi -D_XOPEN_SOURCE=500 -D_BSD_SOURCE -Wcast-align -Wconversion -Wchar-subscripts -O2 -Wformat-security -Wmissing-format-attribute -fno-exceptions -fno-check-new -fno-common -I/usr/include/freetype2 -I/usr/include -L/usr/lib -lwmf -lwmflite -lfreetype -lz -L/usr/X11R6/lib -lSM -lICE -lX11 -lexpat -ljpeg -lpng -lz -lm -o wmfthumbnail.la -rpath /usr/local/kde/lib/kde3 -module -L/usr/X11R6/lib -L/usr/share/qt3/lib -L/usr/lib -avoid-version -module -no-undefined -Wl,--no-undefined -Wl,--allow-shlib-undefined -R /usr/lib -R /usr/share/qt3/lib -R /usr/X11R6/lib wmfthumbnail.lo wmfthumbcreator.lo -lkio
make[1]: *** [wmfthumbnail.la] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/gblusr/Installs/KonqPlugIns/wmfthumbnail-0.2/src'
make: *** [install-recursive] Error 1

Looking over the output, am I correct in assuming my "new" problem is Xinerama_pic ??? What the heck is it, and why does a viewer in Konq require it to succeed???

This has become a "full-blown" quest now -=- I AM GOING to CONQUOR this - it is NOT going to beat me... whats my next move ??? Stephen? Eco2Geek?

Thanks for all the help in this,
Cuddles
[ps - Eco2Geek, just goes to show, not ALL knoppix installs are alike, apparent by my problems, and the solves you had, don't appear to have worked, or did, but not fully for my install]

Stephen
05-02-2004, 03:27 AM
-R /usr/lib -R /usr/share/qt3/lib -R /usr/X11R6/lib wmfthumbnail.lo wmfthumbcreator.lo -lkio
make[1]: *** [wmfthumbnail.la] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/gblusr/Installs/KonqPlugIns/wmfthumbnail-0.2/src'
make: *** [install-recursive] Error 1

Looking over the output, am I correct in assuming my "new" problem is Xinerama_pic ??? What the heck is it, and why does a viewer in Konq require it to succeed???

This has become a "full-blown" quest now -=- I AM GOING to CONQUOR this - it is NOT going to beat me... whats my next move ??? Stephen? Eco2Geek?

Thanks for all the help in this,
Cuddles
[ps - Eco2Geek, just goes to show, not ALL knoppix installs are alike, apparent by my problems, and the solves you had, don't appear to have worked, or did, but not fully for my install]

You just keep searching to find the package it needs in this case xlibs-static-pic and install it then compile again rinse, wash and repeat as necessary as they say.

>$ dpkg -S Xinerama_pic
dpkg: *Xinerama_pic* not found.
>$ apt-file search Xinerama_pic
xlibs-static-pic: usr/X11R6/lib/libXinerama_pic.a
xlibs-static-pic: usr/X11R6/lib/libXinerama_pic.a

Cuddles
05-02-2004, 03:40 AM
Stephen, I just tried the apt-get for the suggested, here is what apt-get tells me:

root@Polaris:~# apt-get -u install xlibs-static-pic
hicolor-icon-theme kdelibs-bin kdelibs-data kdelibs4 libarts1 libartsc0
libartsc0-dev libasound2 libasound2-dev libesd0-dev libice-dev libice6
libpcre3 libpcre3-dev libsm-dev libsm6 libxext-dev libxext6 libxi-dev libxi6
libxml2 libxmu-dev libxmu6 libxmuu-dev libxmuu1 libxp-dev libxp6 libxpm-dev
libxpm4 libxrandr-dev libxrandr2 libxslt1.1 libxt-dev libxt6 libxtrap-dev
libxtrap6 libxtst-dev libxtst6 libxv-dev libxv1 pm-dev xlibs-dev
xlibs-static-dev
Suggested packages:
alsa-base alsadriver libasound2-doc xspecs
Recommended packages:
menu-xdg xml-core
kdelibs4-dev libarts1-dev libqt3-mt-dev xlibs-pic
hicolor-icon-theme libesd0-dev libice-dev libice6 libsm-dev libsm6
libxext-dev libxext6 libxi-dev libxi6 libxmu-dev libxmu6 libxmuu-dev
libxmuu1 libxp-dev libxp6 libxpm-dev libxpm4 libxrandr-dev libxrandr2
libxt-dev libxt6 libxtrap-dev libxtrap6 libxtst-dev libxtst6 libxv-dev
libxv1 pm-dev xlibs-static-dev xlibs-static-pic
kdelibs-bin kdelibs-data kdelibs4 libarts1 libartsc0 libartsc0-dev
libasound2 libasound2-dev libpcre3 libpcre3-dev libxml2 libxslt1.1 xlibs-dev
13 upgraded, 31 newly installed, 4 to remove and 497 not upgraded.
Need to get 23.5MB of archives.
After unpacking 1925kB disk space will be freed.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n]

Not quite sure, but that looks like a "apt-get going to hell" in one fell-swoop... Am I correct in assuming that "after" I enter "Y" to the prompt, everything in heck is going to go everywhere, and nothing is going to go out on me after this????

Give me some confidence here, can I trust entering "Y" here, and be able to still have a working system after it "might" complete on me????

Thanks for everything guys,
Cuddles

Stephen
05-02-2004, 04:21 AM
Not quite sure, but that looks like a "apt-get going to hell" in one fell-swoop... Am I correct in assuming that "after" I enter "Y" to the prompt, everything in heck is going to go everywhere, and nothing is going to go out on me after this????

Give me some confidence here, can I trust entering "Y" here, and be able to still have a working system after it "might" complete on me????

Thanks for everything guys,
Cuddles

That looks like it is going to install KDE 3.2 have you upgraded to that version yet? If not then you will end up with a lot of packages still at the 3.1.5 and you would have to upgrade them for it to work properly. All those X packages that will be installed will be about the same as the last time you tried most likely a couple of force-overwrites and maybe a apt-get -f install thrown in for good measure. Can you put this in your /etc/apt/apt.conf and show me the output of the apt-get -s install xlibs-static-pic command.

APT::Get::Show-Versions "true";

eco2geek
05-02-2004, 04:39 AM
Wait, wait, wait. Don't install anything...you shouldn't have to.

It looks like it compiled correctly, since your "make" output (after it goes into the /src directory) only has the --mode=link part. Maybe you can simply fix the problem by running /sbin/ldconfig as root to tell the linker where the libraries it needs are.

But if that doesn't work, try starting from scratch. Here's a recap:

Unarchive the tarball to your home directory. Install "libwmf-dev". Modify wmfthumbnail-0.2/src/wmfthumbcreator.cpp so the beginning looks like:

#include "/usr/include/kde/kdebug.h"
#include "/usr/include/qt3/qimage.h"
#include "/usr/include/qt3/qcstring.h"
#include "/usr/include/qt3/qmutex.h"
#include "/usr/include/kde/kpixmap.h"
#include "wmfthumbcreator.h"
#include "/usr/include/math.h"

Modify wmfthumbnail-0.2/src/wmfthumbcreator.h so the beginning looks like:

#ifndef WMFTHUMBCREATOR_H
#define WMFTHUMBCREATOR_H
#include "/usr/include/libwmf/api.h"
#include "/usr/include/libwmf/gd.h"
#include "/usr/include/qt3/qvaluevector.h"
#include "/usr/include/kde/kio/thumbcreator.h"

(You can verify that the paths to these these *.h files are correct with the "locate" command.)

Run "./configure" and "make" as your normal user. You should only have to run "make install" as root. Or so they say. Dunno if it really matters.

And you definitely should not have to install more than libwmf-dev in order to get this to work on stock Knoppix. Your install and my install should be just about the same!

Note that if "make" ends with an error message, you can skip the "make install" because it knows that make failed and won't do anything.

Cuddles
05-02-2004, 12:31 PM
Ok folks, here is what I am seeing here...

Stephen, can I make the edit and apt-get (as a test) for you, without actually doing the install ? I am quite sure, if you are thinking that it is trying to "upgrade" my KDE - you are correct, I think I am still at the "Knoppix Live CD" installed version of KDE, Knoppix 3.3 - so I am really sure that I don't have a "current" version of KDE...

Eco2Geek, here is what I read from your reply... Erase the current unpacked tarball of wmfthumbnail, re-unpack the tarball again, make the edits in the .cpp and .h files, and re-try the ./configure, and make - then post results -=- Am I correct? Do I have to put them in my HOME area, or do them as my user? I would really prefer to do them in the location I have already been doing them, and under my root shell - just in case.

I am still sitting on the "proceed y or n" of the above apt-get install -=- I am going to "abort" that, and await for both of your responses to the above questions, before I proceed with the above doings -=- I am not going to trash this system by my own "jumping to conclusions" here, and not at this time... (cautious aren't I?)

Waiting for replies from both of you on this. Stephen and Eco2Geek,
Cuddles
PS -=- I did a complete (full) backup image last night, just in case this gets "hairy" :D

eco2geek
05-02-2004, 06:50 PM
Sorry for not being clear. Keep in mind that I'm no guru, and what I'm about to say is certainly up for debate/correction. :?

First, your installation of Knoppix and my installation of Knoppix (OK, Kanotix for me now, but close enough) should be just about the same. I'm not getting all those errors from "make" about missing stuff -- which means, I think, that something else is going on -- the issue is not that you're missing stuff.

Second, your system is doing what I did when I tried to use "apt-get" to install the KDE games -- it's not installing a version of xlibs-static-pic that matches your current system; it's going out, grabbing the very latest version, and then going about upgrading the rest of your system to match. If the issue truly is that you're missing stuff, then you might consider going to Debian's package site and downloading packages that match your existing system.

So what I'm saying is, don't do that apt-get command. Instead, try running (as root) the command "/sbin/ldconfig" (which is supposed to tell the linker where the shared libraries already on your system live). Then run your "make" command again.

And if that doesn't work, start from scratch.

Cuddles
05-02-2004, 08:30 PM
Outcome:

Eco2Geek,
the linker update command was run, and the make failed - same place...
I then removed the folder containing all wmfthumbnail "extracted" from the tarball, redid the unpacking of the original tarball from scratch, did the edits to the cpp and h files, did the ./configure, and the make died with the same exact error, at exactly the same spot...

So...
Stephen,
I made the change to my /etc/apt/apt.conf file, and here is the output from the tested apt-get install command -=- hope you can figure this out...

root@Polaris:~# apt-get -s install xlibs-static-pic
hicolor-icon-theme (0.5-1)
kdelibs-bin (3.2.2-2)
kdelibs-data (3.2.2-2)
kdelibs4 (3.2.2-2)
libarts1 (1.2.2-1)
libartsc0 (1.2.2-1)
libartsc0-dev (1.2.2-1)
libasound2 (1.0.4-1)
libasound2-dev (1.0.4-1)
libesd0-dev (0.2.29-1)
libice-dev (4.3.0-7)
libice6 (4.3.0-7)
libpcre3 (4.5-1.1)
libpcre3-dev (4.5-1.1)
libsm-dev (4.3.0-7)
libsm6 (4.3.0-7)
libxext-dev (4.3.0-7)
libxext6 (4.3.0-7)
libxi-dev (4.3.0-7)
libxi6 (4.3.0-7)
libxml2 (2.6.9-1)
libxmu-dev (4.3.0-7)
libxmu6 (4.3.0-7)
libxmuu-dev (4.3.0-7)
libxmuu1 (4.3.0-7)
libxp-dev (4.3.0-7)
libxp6 (4.3.0-7)
libxpm-dev (4.3.0-7)
libxpm4 (4.3.0-7)
libxrandr-dev (4.3.0-7)
libxrandr2 (4.3.0-7)
libxslt1.1 (1.1.5-1)
libxt-dev (4.3.0-7)
libxt6 (4.3.0-7)
libxtrap-dev (4.3.0-7)
libxtrap6 (4.3.0-7)
libxtst-dev (4.3.0-7)
libxtst6 (4.3.0-7)
libxv-dev (4.3.0-7)
libxv1 (4.3.0-7)
pm-dev (4.3.0-7)
xlibs-dev (4.3.0-7)
xlibs-static-dev (4.3.0-7)
Suggested packages:
alsa-base (1.0.3-1)
alsadriver ()
libasound2-doc (1.0.4-1)
xspecs (4.3.0-7)
Recommended packages:
menu-xdg (0.1)
xml-core (0.07)
kdelibs4-dev (3.2.2-2)
libarts1-dev (1.2.2-1)
libqt3-mt-dev (3.2.3-2)
xlibs-pic (4.3.0-7)
hicolor-icon-theme (0.5-1)
libesd0-dev (0.2.29-1)
libice-dev (4.3.0-7)
libice6 (4.3.0-7)
libsm-dev (4.3.0-7)
libsm6 (4.3.0-7)
libxext-dev (4.3.0-7)
libxext6 (4.3.0-7)
libxi-dev (4.3.0-7)
libxi6 (4.3.0-7)
libxmu-dev (4.3.0-7)
libxmu6 (4.3.0-7)
libxmuu-dev (4.3.0-7)
libxmuu1 (4.3.0-7)
libxp-dev (4.3.0-7)
libxp6 (4.3.0-7)
libxpm-dev (4.3.0-7)
libxpm4 (4.3.0-7)
libxrandr-dev (4.3.0-7)
libxrandr2 (4.3.0-7)
libxt-dev (4.3.0-7)
libxt6 (4.3.0-7)
libxtrap-dev (4.3.0-7)
libxtrap6 (4.3.0-7)
libxtst-dev (4.3.0-7)
libxtst6 (4.3.0-7)
libxv-dev (4.3.0-7)
libxv1 (4.3.0-7)
pm-dev (4.3.0-7)
xlibs-static-dev (4.3.0-7)
xlibs-static-pic (4.3.0-7)
kdelibs-bin (3.1.5-1 => 3.2.2-2)
kdelibs-data (3.1.5-1 => 3.2.2-2)
kdelibs4 (3.1.5-1 => 3.2.2-2)
libarts1 (1.1.5-2 => 1.2.2-1)
libartsc0 (1.1.5-2 => 1.2.2-1)
libartsc0-dev (1.1.5-2 => 1.2.2-1)
libasound2 (1.0.2-1 => 1.0.4-1)
libasound2-dev (1.0.2-1 => 1.0.4-1)
libpcre3 (4.3-4 => 4.5-1.1)
libpcre3-dev (4.3-4 => 4.5-1.1)
libxml2 (2.6.6-1 => 2.6.9-1)
libxslt1.1 (1.1.2-3 => 1.1.5-1)
xlibs-dev (4.3.0-0ds4 => 4.3.0-7)
13 upgraded, 31 newly installed, 4 to remove and 497 not upgraded.
Remv kdelibs4-dev (4:3.2.2-2 Debian:testing)
Remv libarts1-dev (1.2.2-1 Debian:testing)
Remv libqt3-mt-dev (3:3.2.3-2 Debian:testing)
Remv xlibs-pic (4.3.0-7 Debian:testing)
Inst libpcre3-dev [4.3-4] (4.5-1.1 Debian:testing) []
Inst libpcre3 [4.3-4] (4.5-1.1 Debian:testing)
Inst hicolor-icon-theme (0.5-1 Debian:testing)
Inst libartsc0-dev [1.1.5-2] (1.2.2-1 Debian:testing) []
Inst libartsc0 [1.1.5-2] (1.2.2-1 Debian:testing)
Inst libasound2-dev [1.0.2-1] (1.0.4-1 Debian:testing) []
Inst libasound2 [1.0.2-1] (1.0.4-1 Debian:testing)
Inst libice6 (4.3.0-7 Debian:testing)
Inst libsm6 (4.3.0-7 Debian:testing)
Inst libxext6 (4.3.0-7 Debian:testing)
Inst libxt6 (4.3.0-7 Debian:testing)
Inst libarts1 [1.1.5-2] (1.2.2-1 Debian:testing)
Inst libxml2 [2.6.6-1] (2.6.9-1 Debian:testing)
Inst libxslt1.1 [1.1.2-3] (1.1.5-1 Debian:testing)
Inst kdelibs-data [4:3.1.5-1] (4:3.2.2-2 Debian:testing)
Inst kdelibs4 [4:3.1.5-1] (4:3.2.2-2 Debian:testing) []
Inst kdelibs-bin [4:3.1.5-1] (4:3.2.2-2 Debian:testing)
Inst libesd0-dev (0.2.29-1 Debian:testing)
Inst libice-dev (4.3.0-7 Debian:testing)
Inst libsm-dev (4.3.0-7 Debian:testing)
Inst libxext-dev (4.3.0-7 Debian:testing)
Inst libxi6 (4.3.0-7 Debian:testing)
Inst libxi-dev (4.3.0-7 Debian:testing)
Inst libxmu6 (4.3.0-7 Debian:testing)
Inst libxt-dev (4.3.0-7 Debian:testing)
Inst libxmu-dev (4.3.0-7 Debian:testing)
Inst libxmuu1 (4.3.0-7 Debian:testing)
Inst libxmuu-dev (4.3.0-7 Debian:testing)
Inst libxp6 (4.3.0-7 Debian:testing)
Inst libxp-dev (4.3.0-7 Debian:testing)
Inst libxpm4 (4.3.0-7 Debian:testing)
Inst libxpm-dev (4.3.0-7 Debian:testing)
Inst libxrandr2 (4.3.0-7 Debian:testing)
Inst libxrandr-dev (4.3.0-7 Debian:testing)
Inst libxtrap6 (4.3.0-7 Debian:testing)
Inst libxtrap-dev (4.3.0-7 Debian:testing)
Inst libxtst6 (4.3.0-7 Debian:testing)
Inst libxtst-dev (4.3.0-7 Debian:testing)
Inst libxv1 (4.3.0-7 Debian:testing)
Inst libxv-dev (4.3.0-7 Debian:testing)
Inst pm-dev (4.3.0-7 Debian:testing)
Inst xlibs-dev [4.3.0-0ds4] (4.3.0-7 Debian:testing) []
Inst xlibs-static-dev (4.3.0-7 Debian:testing)
Inst xlibs-static-pic (4.3.0-7 Debian:testing)
Conf libpcre3 (4.5-1.1 Debian:testing)
Conf libpcre3-dev (4.5-1.1 Debian:testing)
Conf hicolor-icon-theme (0.5-1 Debian:testing)
Conf libartsc0 (1.2.2-1 Debian:testing)
Conf libartsc0-dev (1.2.2-1 Debian:testing)
Conf libasound2 (1.0.4-1 Debian:testing)
Conf libasound2-dev (1.0.4-1 Debian:testing)
Conf libice6 (4.3.0-7 Debian:testing)
Conf libsm6 (4.3.0-7 Debian:testing)
Conf libxext6 (4.3.0-7 Debian:testing)
Conf libxt6 (4.3.0-7 Debian:testing)
Conf libarts1 (1.2.2-1 Debian:testing)
Conf libxml2 (2.6.9-1 Debian:testing)
Conf libxslt1.1 (1.1.5-1 Debian:testing)
Conf kdelibs-data (4:3.2.2-2 Debian:testing)
Conf kdelibs-bin (4:3.2.2-2 Debian:testing)
Conf kdelibs4 (4:3.2.2-2 Debian:testing)
Conf libesd0-dev (0.2.29-1 Debian:testing)
Conf libice-dev (4.3.0-7 Debian:testing)
Conf libsm-dev (4.3.0-7 Debian:testing)
Conf libxext-dev (4.3.0-7 Debian:testing)
Conf libxi6 (4.3.0-7 Debian:testing)
Conf libxi-dev (4.3.0-7 Debian:testing)
Conf libxmu6 (4.3.0-7 Debian:testing)
Conf libxt-dev (4.3.0-7 Debian:testing)
Conf libxmu-dev (4.3.0-7 Debian:testing)
Conf libxmuu1 (4.3.0-7 Debian:testing)
Conf libxmuu-dev (4.3.0-7 Debian:testing)
Conf libxp6 (4.3.0-7 Debian:testing)
Conf libxp-dev (4.3.0-7 Debian:testing)
Conf libxpm4 (4.3.0-7 Debian:testing)
Conf libxpm-dev (4.3.0-7 Debian:testing)
Conf libxrandr2 (4.3.0-7 Debian:testing)
Conf libxrandr-dev (4.3.0-7 Debian:testing)
Conf libxtrap6 (4.3.0-7 Debian:testing)
Conf libxtrap-dev (4.3.0-7 Debian:testing)
Conf libxtst6 (4.3.0-7 Debian:testing)
Conf libxtst-dev (4.3.0-7 Debian:testing)
Conf libxv1 (4.3.0-7 Debian:testing)
Conf libxv-dev (4.3.0-7 Debian:testing)
Conf pm-dev (4.3.0-7 Debian:testing)
Conf xlibs-static-dev (4.3.0-7 Debian:testing)
Conf xlibs-dev (4.3.0-7 Debian:testing)
Conf xlibs-static-pic (4.3.0-7 Debian:testing)

Awaiting further instructions, and solutions, hopefully "promissing" ones :D
Cuddles

eco2geek
05-02-2004, 08:59 PM
I'm out of suggestions. The compiled package only consists of one text file (wmfthumbnail.desktop) and two small binaries (wmfthumbnail.la and wmfthumbnail.so) plus some superfluous docs, all of which I'd be happy to email to you. Otherwise, it's time for me to shut up and let the experts take over. :?

Stephen
05-02-2004, 11:40 PM
Ah just what I thought it is going to pull in KDE 3.2 you will end up in a mess there unless you upgrade the entire KDE to the new version and it still will be mess with the X upgrade as well. I think you should try the files from eco2geek and see if they will work on your install that is a lot less work than upgrading all them packages.

Cuddles
05-03-2004, 03:00 AM
Sounds like a plan Stephen, you listening Eco2Geek???

Here is my email addy, taylar [at] pctcnet [dot] net

Send me the (what three files?) files, and direct me to where I put them, we will give this a try, and see where it goes...

Thanks Stephen for all your help, (continued), and same for you Eco2Geek -=- you guys are wonderful :D

Cuddles
[ps - if this doesn't work, should I attempt the gawd-awful thought of apt-get upgrade then???]

eco2geek
05-03-2004, 06:49 AM
Emailed...let us know!

Cuddles
05-03-2004, 01:52 PM
As I said in my email Eco2Geek...

Email recv'ed, untar'ed, installed, and

O M G :!:

IT WORKS :!:

I openned my clip art CDROM, went to a folder containing WMF images, and was EXTREMELY EXCITED to see all the icons change to what there image contents are. I "hovered" over many of them to see that Konq showed me the "larger" view of the image, so, I got it working :!:

Thank you to both Stephen, and a very exuberant THANK YOU to Eco2Geek for sending me his pre-compiled source objects -=- I am so happy now, I can put this baby to bed now, (cuddles is doing the happy dance, again, around the room (yippie!).

Now, I guess, the biggest question, where do I go from here? I think the process of getting this whole thing going has cost me some broken pipes ( I am getting an error from KBackup about not having afio ( I think thats the program ), and a broken pipe, when ever I do a backup )

Should I (god forbid) think of a apt-get upgrade? Or should I do a dist-something? The KBackup still runs, it still backs up data, but it does report an error, and just continues. If my system is so far behind in updates, what should I do? Consider I am running on a 56K dial-up line here, but I can "take-over" the phone line overnight, if needed for an upgrade ( I've done it before )

Would a upgrade, or this dist-something, correct for broken pipes that I already have, or possibly just leave them alone, and possibly just create more pipe breakage?

Thanks again, both of you, for everything...
(possibly the biggest reason I keep trying with Knoppix, even through all the problems, is because of the "fantastic" support I get here :D)

A very happy,
Cuddles
yaaaaaaaaaaa, i've got thumbnail viewing of WMF images now ( YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA)

fingers99
05-03-2004, 04:13 PM
I started this all out trying to get a "thumbnail" viewer for those pesky WMF image formats (that plague Windows) that are given so freely with clip art packages that run specific on Windows systems.

Ah well, glad to see you suceeded. Here's an alternative which usually works:

There's a plug in for Gimp called Guash, which, in effect creates thumbnails in much the same way as the old XV visual schnauser (spelling?). There's now (it went missing for a few months) a link to it from www.gimp.org. As the author is a DebHead, it's even available in your favourite format.

Gimp will handle most wmf files, hence Guash will, too.

Cuddles
05-03-2004, 04:25 PM
Fingers99,

Yeah, I knew Gimp would read them, thats what I was using to "see" them before with, I just wanted to do this in a "quick view" idea.

With Gimp, I had to locate a "cryptic" file name for the image, load it, and find out what it looked like, if it wasn't what I wanted, unload it, and load the next one, etc... Real hard to do when you are looking at over a thousand WMF image files, and no clue what they look like, or for that matter, are an image of...

With the thumbnail viewer, I can go into Konq and "see" all the images in one window, examine what they are, and decide which ones I want, without having to load them first, one at a time.

But, thanks, as well, having more avenues, and options, is always a good thing :D

Cuddles

eco2geek
05-03-2004, 08:07 PM
Yay! :D Thank goodness. Sorry it had to be such an ordeal.

You can drop those WMF graphics right into your OpenOffice.org docs (in the Writer, Insert | Graphics | From File...) without having to convert them to another format first.

I was thinking about backing up my home dir, along with any stray docs, then restoring to Knoppix 3.4, once it comes out. (Then again, I'm having so much fun with Kanotix that I haven't run Windows in 3 days, so I may stick with it.)