PDA

View Full Version : would it be possible to install knoppix std on a 2.1gb hd???

liquid134
05-01-2004, 10:29 PM
would that be possible??? cuz i have a 2.1gb hd layin around and on my computer now i have an 80gig that i have partioned one side for files and the rest for w.e but im confuzed help please!!!

Stephen
05-01-2004, 11:35 PM
would that be possible??? cuz i have a 2.1gb hd layin around and on my computer now i have an 80gig that i have partioned one side for files and the rest for w.e but im confuzed help please!!!

That is about the absolute minimum depending on how large the ISO image for std is so how large is it? If it is only about 600mb or there abouts then you can edit the install script and look for the FSMIN variable and change it to something smaller that the 2200 (IIRC) that should already be there if it is close to 700mb then you will most likely have problems fitting it on.

OErjan
05-01-2004, 11:48 PM
hmmm, poormansinstall MIGHT work, but ... id go for a 3.5Gb

pvdvyve
05-05-2004, 07:09 AM
Hay, I think you'd better re-partition your 80 Gb-drive. If you can manage, put your data on cd or dvd and use Qtparted or (sudo cfdisk /dev/hda) in a shell running Knoppix, to make a few partitions:
1-/boot partition (don't make this to big, you don't need more than 50 Mb)
2-/ partition (I took about 6 Gb for Knoppix)
3-a partition to store your /home/yourself data is a good idea
3-leave some place to play with later on
I don't know what you're using windoze for, but if you plan to go for linux, than, in time, there's little left to use windoze for. That's my experience.
I have knoppix hd install running on a 2,5 Gb partition, and maybe you just have to try to make it run on your 2,1 Gb drive.
If you want to play around before touching your big drive, maybe "DamnSmallLinux" is good enough to put on a 300Mb partition;
http://www.damnsmalllinux.org/
Have fun.

nvgringo
05-05-2004, 01:21 PM
You could do a hd based install and set up lilo to boot it. You would have enough space left over for a swap partition and a small home directory. But you couldn't add any new software.

nvgringo
05-05-2004, 01:23 PM
http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=40750

ajitabhpandey
05-28-2004, 05:08 PM
Hi,

I just did it yesterday. I had an old Pentium MMX 166MHz/64MB/2GB HDD machine. I had 200MB swap partition and rest of it for knoppix. I have loaded knoppix 3.3
No special procedure, just booted off the cd

:boot knoppix lang=uk desktop=icewm

from console ran knx-hdinstall and followed the instructions.

Now I am planning to tweak it as it has taken almost my entire harddisk. So I have already removed Samba, and some other langusgae files. Now planning to remove KDE but will keep off necessary libraries to run KDevelop and Qt.
KDE is too heavy, so I would suggest running IceWM under such configuration.