PDA

View Full Version : Video as a wallpaper?

kovk
05-02-2004, 03:34 AM
Does anyone have any clue how one could use a video clip as a wallpaper, that would be great. I know it would take up quite a but of system resources but I can spare it while I'm not doing anything imporant. Ideally one could have a looping video clip of a countryside or waves on a beach or fish or a waterfall or anything.

On windows my ati video card came with an ati movie player that would put the video on the desktop but still let you see your icons and everything. Basically I just want to make mplayer or xine or whatever do this on my knoppix desktop(I've tried looking though their preferences and found nothing related). Ideas anyone?

kuku
05-04-2004, 09:15 AM
from man mplayer

-rootwin (X11 only)
Play movie in the root window (desktop background) instead of
opening a new one. Works only with x11, xv, xmga and xvidix
drivers.

kovk
09-16-2004, 06:12 AM
Hey I tried this and it did not work, I tried turning off all desktop images and having a blank desktop and it still doens't work, I can hear the audio, but no video anywhere at all.

Thanks

probono
09-17-2004, 01:33 AM
Hey I tried this and it did not work

Probably you tried in KDE? There, the desktop background image is "in the way". I don't know what to do, but the method described works well as long as you have just plain X running (with the "checkerboard" background).

kovk
09-17-2004, 05:56 PM
Yes you are right, I am using KDE, but I got it fixed anyways. I'll describe what to do. First of all you gotta turn off icons in Desktop - Behavior , then go into Background - Advanced - Use Program to draw desktop. Make it so the command it uses is

mplayer -zoom movie .mpg -rootwin

This works for me.