PDA

View Full Version : knoppix security

lordb
05-02-2004, 06:29 AM
hi, i'm looking for some help with the security of knoppix after the hdd install. and i'm not talking about the apt-get, i've read the security how-to. i'm concerned about these default passwords. i've changed the root password. but with the regular knoppix account i don't really need the root passsword to do something "evil". i want to make another account, more limited and delete the knoppix account. the problem is i don't know how to login as another user, because the logout from the Kmenu shuts the computer down. i want a login menu at the beginning so that i login as a user, not just run commands from the console as that user.

or is the default installation "safe" and i don't need to do all this ? i'm just confused how this password system works and i don't want anyone from the net to login with the default passwords, or with no password at all, because i leave my computer on for weeks.

thanks in advance :)

garyng
05-02-2004, 06:43 AM
the default is safe for your own use as I assume no one would be sharing the machine.

Otherwise, KNOPPIX is not the right choice, IMO. Get a standard debian installation which is multi-user enabled by default.